Asking professors to do research

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to approach a professor for potential research opportunities. They have a decent understanding of physics concepts but lack formal education in the professor's field of research. They are nervous about asking, but it is recommended to directly ask the professor if they are looking for undergraduate research assistants and what projects they have in mind. It is also suggested to be open to doing "grunt" work as it can lead to more opportunities and valuable experience.
Psycopathak
I want to ask a professor or two about possibly doing research for them. I'm only a sophomore and my major is Astronomy and Astrophysics. His field of research is loop quantum gravity, string theory, cosmic matter-anti matter asymmetry, singularity resolution, electroweak symmetry breaking and more cool stuff like that.

Of course I don't have a formal education in that kind of thing. The most I know about it is stuff I read in popular books like the elegant universe, stuff I see on the history channel and so forth. I can go pick up books at the physics library and stare at them, but the mathematics is far too complex for me.

I do have a decent understanding of a lot of physics concepts. This includes calculus, vectors, mechanics, E&M, Astrophysical subjects, statistical mechanics and so forth. But not the level of theoretical physics that he studies. I suspect that if he were to employ me, it'd be with really simple stuff like fixing code in computers or whatever. But I'll still get the experience and resume stuff.

How do I go about asking the professor? I do get a little nervous about these things. No idea why. Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just ask him if he is looking for any undergraduate reserach assistants and, if so, what sort of projects he has in mind.

It can never hurt to ask. If anything, they'd appreciate any sort of help if they could use it, especially since it will probably free help.

ASK! I was in a similar situation way back when. I did exactly what you are thinking of doing and it lead to my last 8 years or so of research collaboration, including grad school, and a postdoc.

You will begin with simple things, but all of it builds on itself and you will soon be doing very interesting work.

First thing to do is find out what area each professor is doing work in. Then as cristo stated, ask the ones who are doing research you are interested in if they would like to have an undergraduate research assistant and what projects are available.

Good luck!

Every person doing research has some level of "grunt" work that they would like to have done. If you don't mind doing really tedious, repetitive, tasks in support of a research project, volunteer. You'll be able to make yourself of value to the prof, and get to associate with graduate students involved with his/her projects. Work hard and cheerfully, and this will open more doors for you.

1. How do I approach a professor about doing research?

The best way to approach a professor about doing research is to first do your research on their work and interests. Then, send them a formal email or schedule a meeting to discuss your interest in their research and how you can contribute to it.

2. Will I get paid for doing research with a professor?

It depends on the professor and the specific research project. Some professors may have funding to pay their research assistants, while others may offer academic credit or volunteer opportunities. Make sure to discuss this with the professor before committing to the research project.

3. What qualifications do I need to have to do research with a professor?

The qualifications may vary depending on the research project, but generally, having a strong academic background in the related field, relevant skills or experience, and a strong interest in the research topic are important. Some professors may also have specific requirements, so make sure to ask about them.

4. How much time commitment is required for research with a professor?

The time commitment for research with a professor can vary depending on the project and your role in it. Some research projects may require a few hours per week, while others may require more time, especially if you are working on a thesis or dissertation. It's important to discuss the expected time commitment with the professor beforehand.

5. Can I do research with multiple professors at the same time?

In some cases, it may be possible to do research with multiple professors at the same time. However, it's important to consider the time commitment and workload before committing to multiple research projects. Make sure to communicate with both professors and manage your time effectively to avoid any conflicts or issues.