Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking too much of "why" and "how" questions

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    Whenever I learn a theory or a concept in science, I keep asking too much of why? and how? questions. An example would be this:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=765366 and this:www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=746990

But when I don't ask such type of silly questions, I feel as if I haven't understood the material and lack something in it. Also I keep asking myself this type of questions even for certain principles like piezo-electric property(why is it that when we apply force on 1 side, we get electric charges on the other. How is that possible in the real world?).

Also I learnt that Frequency band for Standard AM broadcast ranges from 540 to 1600 kHz(But my question is why? how exactly do they determine this range?)

Are asking such kind of questions awkward?

If yes, then what exactly is the way to understand fully the concepts behind each topic in science?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This is a legal and historical issue, and mainly not a physics issue. If you follow enough links from here, you might be able to dig out the reason this particular band was chosen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting#Broadcast_frequency_bands

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3

russ_watters

The first question wasn't answers because it made no sense without context.

Asking quality questions is itself a skill which we can help you with.

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4
    I'd turn that on its head and as why you would think that its awkward? A healthy curiosity of why and how the world works the way it does is what drives most scientists to be scientists in the first place.

People only seek knowledge to the level that they want to understand it at, or to the level required by their industry if that is deeper. If you find yourself yearning for a deeper level of understanding than more shallow treatments, don't be apologetic for it. You're just going to have to work harder for it.

6. Aug 11, 2014 #5

jtbell

Sure. It's only a problem if it distracts from whatever you're working on, and prevents you from continuing until you've finished chasing down a bunch of detours that don't affect the outcome of your current task. You have to be able to set aside questions like that for future study.

7. Aug 11, 2014 #6
    Granted.

8. Aug 12, 2014 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NDT was asked by an interviewer once, "I always felt like maybe there was a little too much question asking in philosophy [of science]?"

Spot-on, and a good reason why we don't entertain philosophy discussions here on PF.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/massi...on-and-the-value-of-philosophy_b_5330216.html

9. Aug 12, 2014 #8

donpacino

Gold Member

Some personality types are driven by discovering truths. For some they are not truly invested until they discover the why or how. For others they won't rest until they find the why or how. Thats just the nature of some people, myself included. It is ok that you ask those questions.

Just attempt to restrain yourself from diving to the bottom of every rabbit hole you see...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook