I think science too much, apparently.

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I run into this problem ALLLL the time. And then when i try to explain why I answered like I did, and its really that they didn't ask the right question, i get the "Whatever" response. Its so annoying and frustrating.

I run into this problem ALLLL the time. And then when i try to explain why I answered like I did, and its really that they didn't ask the right question, i get the "Whatever" response. Its so annoying and frustrating.
Which is why I've learnt who is worth having such a discussion with and who I'm better off just agreeing with and letting the matter go.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Which is why I've learnt who is worth having such a discussion with and who I'm better off just agreeing with and letting the matter go.
I think i still need to learn that lesson.

They should probably give college courses for math and science majors on "dealing with non math and science people." It's easy to become elitist or arrogant when you are versed on a topic that others are not. It is the bane of the tech support analysts existence to have to deal with "stupid people" (who aren't necessarily stupid, just non computer savvy) all day, and the good ones know how to do it without alienating their clients, friends, wives, girlfriends...

-DaveKA

Evo
Mentor
they should probably give college courses for math and science majors on "dealing with non math and science people." it's easy to become elitist or arrogant when you are versed on a topic that others are not. It is the bane of the tech support analysts existence to have to deal with "stupid people" (who aren't necessarily stupid, just non computer savvy) all day, and the good ones know how to do it without alienating their clients, friends, wives, girlfriends...

-daveka
pebcak

Perhaps by thinking more relationally this sort of conflict can be avoided for you in the future. She was probably not thinking in "I'm right and you're wrong" terms (at least initially).

For clarification this is my friend's girlfriend, not mine.

My friend's girlfriend asked us a question from one of her home ec classes to stump us. I'm sure you've all heard it before.

"What will give you a worse cut, a dull knife, or a sharp knife."

My response: "a sharp knife, because obviously, its narrower edge allows it to split materials more efficiently (it can be thought of as a wedge..)"

She responds, proudly: "Nope! With a dull knife you aren't paying attention because you think that since it's dull it won't cut you, so you're more likely to mess up and cut yourself."

A friend responds: "Yeah, you just aren't thinking deep enough into it."

I explain to them: "No, I think it's more of the fact that I don't see how it make sense to make a judgment call on the person handling two materials when trying to compare two materials."

I was thinking science too much, they said. And perhaps they are right. When I hear this question asked I want an experiment set up where there are no mysterious variables like the snotty disposition of the person while using the dull knife. I want the same event repeated with the dull and sharp knives.

It's like saying "which is more malleable, gold or nickel?" Nickel, because you assume gold is more malleable so you hit it harder, which breaks it. Therefore nickel is more malleable than gold.
Obviously they are not capable to think in a logical way or think in a rigid way. They can not distinguish differences between definitions (more likely to cut you and more capable to make a deep cut). By any chance, did they get no or very few training in math/physics?