1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assigning Point Group for XeO2F4

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Had this question on a test today and now I'm having second thoughts. We were asked to assign the point group of symmetry for the compound XeO2F4.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had initially thought that it fell under D4h because it contains 1 C4 axis, 4 C2 axes, 4 σv planes and 1 σh plane. I know that the compound XeF4 is D4h and my rationale for assigning D4h to XeO2F4 was that it is identical to XeF4 except that instead of 2 lone pairs on the Xe there are 2 double bonded O's.

However, is the correct assignment for XeO2F4 octahedron (Oh)? It is a octahedral shape according to VSEPR but I'm not sure if all 6 substituents on the central atom have to be identical on Oh point groups.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    yes, all 6 have to be the same. Don't forget there are also C3 axes in octahedral symmetry, which are not present in your proposed structure.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the clarification, sjb-2812!
    I fail to see where the C3 axes would be though in a molecule of octahedral symmetry...

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook