Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Associate's Degree Career Opportunities

  1. Jan 9, 2006 #1

    As the title suggests, I would like to know about the career opportunities available to me with an associate's degree in General Physics.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2
    Highway construction, Welder, Roofer, Drywall, Sanitation, Telemarketing, Cashier, Subway Sandwhich Artist, Hobo, College Professor, Hair Stylist, Plumber, Toll Booth Attendant, Caffeteria Cook, School Bus Driver.....
    The list is endless.
  4. Jan 9, 2006 #3
    What? Even at the community college level you still need at least a bachelor's, and realistically a master's.

    You might get a low level lab technician job, if you wanted to work in a physics related field.
  5. Jan 10, 2006 #4
    Yup, a Master's needed to be a college professor.

    A low level lab technician doesn't sound too bad. I'm indeed hoping to work in a physics related field, scrap up enough money and continue pursuing my education.

    So, any other jobs in a physics related field?
  6. Jan 10, 2006 #5


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    At most four-year colleges in the U.S., a Master's will get you an instructor-level position. For an assistant professor position you need a Ph.D., or be about to finish one. And in that case you need to finish the Ph.D. pretty soon or you'll have to leave.
  7. Jan 10, 2006 #6
    I am glad that you guys thought me joke was so funny.
  8. Jan 10, 2006 #7
    I was referring to a CC when I said a master's is required to become a "professor", not a 4-yr college. For a 4-yr institution, a Ph.D is needed to get an assistant professorship.
  9. Jan 10, 2006 #8
    I dont know much about american schools, but I dont see many job offers around for 3 year associate degrees in canada. Another option worth considering is a 3 year college technology course in engineering. These are very employable here, however a 4 year university version would be much more desirable to most. With a three year engineering technology diploma, many universities will give credit for 2 of 4 years towards an engineering degree.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  10. Jan 10, 2006 #9

    If your going to put in 3 years into an associate degree. You might as well go all the way and put in that one extra year or two to get the bachelor's. One year is a very short time in terms of classes.
  11. Jan 10, 2006 #10
    I don't know of any universities that will transfer engineering technology credit over to a engineering program in the states....the classes ETs take tend to be completely different from the classes engineers take.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook