Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astroid Toutatis year 2012 has effects on Earth and moon

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    What are the physical possiblities if the ,astroid Toutatis , crosses directly between the moon and Earth on December 12th 2012. I understand that this is a fairly large astroid and is projected to zoom near Earth somewhere in the range of the distance between Earth and the moon. What are the possible scenarios if Toutatis was to pass directly between the Earth and moon on that particular day. Could it get caught in Earths orbit and possibly sling shot back around and hit us or the moon and/or could it effect any of the oceans tides or earths temperature. Are there any possible physical effects that this could have on the Earth or moon or would it simply pass through our orbits and have no effect what so ever. I have thought about this for a couple of years now and finally I have people much more intelligent than myself to ask and maybe enlighten me on this subject. I apreciate any and all replies. Thank you very much.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi RT4765! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No, it has far too much energy … it will just keep going.

Remember, the Earth has no "sucky-power", so whatever the asteroid does, it will follow an orbit.

The only way the asteroid can crash is if that orbit happens to go through the Earth (plus atmosphere).

that will depend not on us, but on what happens when it goes near Jupiter.

(and the mass of the asteroid is way too small to affect the tides etc)

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

For some comparison, the mass of the asteroid is [tex]~5 x 10^{13}[/tex]kg. The moon is [tex]~ 7.3x10^{22}[/tex]kg.

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's perhaps worth noting that a) at closest approach, 4179 Toutatis will still be more than 4 million miles away (the moon is about 20 times closer) and b) it was much closer on September 29, 2004 and nothing bad happened.

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I fear that we're going to get a lot more of this astronomical-disaster numerology (12/12/12) cropping up.

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6
    turbo-1,

You got that right. Wait until the movie is out. Then it will spread like a virus.

Thanks
    Matt

8. Oct 10, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just wait until 13/13/13. :biggrin:

9. Oct 10, 2009 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And to paint a picture of just how big a difference this is, it is like comparing 1 ounce of water to the water in 40 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

10. Oct 10, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Or about the concentration of the "active" ingredient in a "powerful" homeopathic solution. Vanishingly small numbers.

11. Oct 10, 2009 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Duck!

Homeopathic asteroids can still kill you … if you believe in them! :biggrin:

12. Oct 10, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If a conspiracy theory starts about that, I'm blaming you!

13. Oct 10, 2009 #12
    LOL. 13/13/13 .... I can only imagine.

Thanks
    Matt

14. Oct 10, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Lets see, if we stopped correcting now with leap days, how long until we need to add an intercalendrial month? 28 days for the new month times 4 years/day. Just a little over a century and we can add month 13 (Astron-ember).

15. Oct 10, 2009 #14
    Does anyone remember how the world almost ended on 6/6/06?

Thanks
    Matt

16. Oct 10, 2009 #15
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thank you for your answere. You made it very understandable for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook