Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Astronaut in rotating space station

1. May 11, 2010 #1

bon

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

cylindrical space station - large diameter, thin walled - radius r, mass M rotating in deep space, no gravity

1)radial spokes of negligible mass connect the cylinder ti the centre of motion. Astronaut mass m climbs a spoke to the centre. What is the fractional change in apparent gravity on the surface of the cylinder?

2)if the astronaut climbs halfway up a spoke and lets go, how far form the base of the spoke will he hit the cylinder? Assume the astronaut is point like..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Got the answer to be 1+m/M for ratio after/before..

is this right? I applied conservation of energy rather than angular momentum...why is angular momentum not conserved?

2) How do i do this one? Consv of energy again?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

bon

anyone?

4. May 12, 2010 #3

bon

Anyone able to help with this please? :)

5. May 12, 2010 #4

bon

*bump*

6. May 12, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper

You forgot to show your work again. :)

ehild

7. May 12, 2010 #6

bon

Ok I didn't show because I'm just wanted to ask the following question first:

In the two cases, it is ENERGY rather than ANGULAR MOMENTUM that is conserved - yes? Why is angular momentum not conserved?

8. May 12, 2010 #7

bon

any ideas?

9. May 12, 2010 #8

ehild

Homework Helper

The angular momentum of the whole space-station+ astronaut is conserved, as there is no external torque.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook