Astronomy: Estimate the age of the observable universe

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lelandsthename
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How does the speed of light's finiteness limit the size of our observable universe? Using the speed of light (c = 3 x 10^8 m/s), estimate the age of the observable Universe in years given its estimated size of about 10^26 m.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So I'm trying to use age = distance/speed, but I'm not sure how to use it with the speed of light. I know the replacement method with Hubble's constant, but it seems like we need to use the speed of light. Plugging in the given distance and speed of light, I don't see how the units will come out in years. Any tips?
 
Physics news on Phys.org