1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy or Astrophysics degree and research.

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    Hello fellow members of this forum,

I am highly interested in Astronomy and Physics, and I plan to pursue a career in these fields.

I am debating on whether I should try to study towards earning a B.Sc in Astrophysics or Physics when I graduate from high school in 2016 (then continue it onto Ph.d).

I would like to know what the difference between the two fields of study are, and also I am not very interested in computational observations or looking at a computer screen for long periods of time (although I have learned computer science AP). That is one reason why I am leaning more towards theoretical physics than astronomy/astrophysics. (I have heard/seen that astronomers are always on their computer analyzing data, while physicists work on more physical data including experiments and creating new theories with mathematics.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Physicists do computer simulations too, to test the feasibility of some theory where exact solutions can't be determined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook