Astronomy or Astrophysics degree and research.

In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a career in Astronomy and Physics and is debating between studying for a B.Sc in Astrophysics or Physics. They are more inclined towards theoretical physics due to their lack of interest in computational observations. However, they are aware that both fields involve some level of computer work.
Trigonal
Hello fellow members of this forum,

I am highly interested in Astronomy and Physics, and I plan to pursue a career in these fields.

I am debating on whether I should try to study towards earning a B.Sc in Astrophysics or Physics when I graduate from high school in 2016 (then continue it onto Ph.d).

I would like to know what the difference between the two fields of study are, and also I am not very interested in computational observations or looking at a computer screen for long periods of time (although I have learned computer science AP). That is one reason why I am leaning more towards theoretical physics than astronomy/astrophysics. (I have heard/seen that astronomers are always on their computer analyzing data, while physicists work on more physical data including experiments and creating new theories with mathematics.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists do computer simulations too, to test the feasibility of some theory where exact solutions can't be determined.

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is the application of physics principles to understand the nature of the universe. While both fields are closely related, astrophysics is more focused on the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, while astronomy is more observational in nature.

2. What skills are required for an astronomy or astrophysics degree?

An astronomy or astrophysics degree requires a strong background in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also important to have a strong interest in astronomy and a curiosity about the mysteries of the universe.

3. What kind of research can I do with an astronomy or astrophysics degree?

As an astronomer or astrophysicist, you can conduct research in a wide range of areas, such as cosmology, planetary science, stellar evolution, or galactic dynamics. You can also specialize in a specific type of observation, such as radio astronomy or X-ray astronomy, or focus on theoretical research.

4. What career opportunities are available with an astronomy or astrophysics degree?

An astronomy or astrophysics degree can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in universities, government agencies, or private companies. You can also work as a data analyst, science communicator, or educator. Many graduates also pursue further education and earn advanced degrees in their field.

5. What are some current and future developments in the field of astronomy and astrophysics?

Some current developments in astronomy and astrophysics include the search for exoplanets, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and advancements in telescope technology. In the future, there will likely be more emphasis on interdisciplinary research, such as combining astronomy with fields like computer science and biology, to further our understanding of the universe.