Thinking about taking an astronomy or astrophysics course for fun

In summary: The math you'll need depends on the course you take - some classes may include calculus, others trigonometry, others algebra, and so on.
adc85
Hi all,

I've had an itching lately to dive into something new. Currently, I am a professional computer programmer but have always been interested in astronomy. I took an astronomy course (as well as a lab for it) when I was in college and I remember enjoying it all immensely. I want to get back into it again and maybe even go further with it this time. It's been maybe 6 years+ since I took that course so probably won't remember much. So I probably have to start from scratch again or else I will be lost. I remember it not being all that math-intensive, but I wouldn't mind it one bit (in fact, I enjoy math quite a bit as I am a computer programmer).

I have been reading about the differences between astronomy and astrophysics and deciding on which course I should do. I'm leaning towards astronomy since that seems to be closer to what I would like to get into (just more observational in nature and learning more about the universe around us). However, astrophysics also sounds fun as you would get to learn about the physics of the universe which seems fascinating too. I would definitely enjoy the more mathematical side of it if that makes any sense. At the same time though, I fear that it would be too theoretical of a subject that it would feel like all I'm doing is just solving interesting math problems. Am I way off base here?

I guess I'm maybe looking for a combination of the two subjects if there is such a thing. I see that some community colleges around me are offering night courses for astronomy but not sure how in-depth it would be (it sounds like they are not lab courses but rather writing courses). Maybe I have to shell out more money for a cooler class at a 4-year university instead? Something else entirely?

Thanks for your input!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making it sound like you are only allowed to take one course in your entire life. Why not take what's easily available now - sounds like the community college course - and see how you like it.

There's not much difference between astronomy and astrophysics anymore. All astronomers need to be able to use physics and math to explain their observations, not just some. Any courses above the introductory level in astronomy are going to require calculus and physics classes as well.

Most intro astronomy classes are pretty similar - an overview of the major topics in the field without much math or getting too in-depth. That's saved for more upper level classes if the school offers them.

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is the study of the physical properties and processes of those objects. Astronomy is more observational and descriptive, while astrophysics delves into the underlying physics and mathematical theories behind celestial objects.

2. What topics are typically covered in an astronomy or astrophysics course?

Topics can vary depending on the level and focus of the course, but some common topics include celestial mechanics, cosmology, stellar evolution, and galactic structure. Other topics may include planetary science, astrobiology, and observational techniques.

3. Do I need a strong background in math and physics to take these courses?

While a strong foundation in math and physics can certainly be helpful, many introductory astronomy and astrophysics courses do not require advanced knowledge in these subjects. However, as you progress to more advanced courses, a solid understanding of math and physics will become increasingly important.

4. What are the benefits of taking an astronomy or astrophysics course for fun?

Aside from the enjoyment of learning about the universe and our place in it, taking a course in astronomy or astrophysics can also improve critical thinking skills, develop a deeper understanding of scientific concepts, and provide a unique perspective on the world around us.

5. Are there any hands-on components to these courses?

Some courses may offer hands-on components such as telescope observations or data analysis projects. However, this is not a requirement for all courses and may vary depending on the institution and course level.