Astronomy Song Game - Get Creative!

In summary: The Dark Side of the Moon-Pink FloydIn summary, U2's song "Dark matter/energy" is about looking for something that is beyond our understanding. The Beatles song "Origins of the solar system" is about the origins of our solar system. Raffi's song about Saturn is funny because it is about a planet that people think does not exist. Bohemian Rapsody's song about Queen is about an eclipse. The Alan Parsons Project's song "Total eclipse" is about a astronomical event. Klaatu's song "Little neutrino" is about a small particle that is important in the universe. The Carpenters' song "Calling Occupants (of Interplanetary Craft)" is about
FeynmanMH42
Alright, basically you have to think of a song that in some way relates to a planet, star, moon, astronomer, concept, theory, astronomical term, etc. Expect some to be funny. I'll start off:

I still haven't found what I'm looking for - U2 - Dark matter/energy
Here comes the Sun - The Beatles - origin of the solar system
Bananaphone - Raffi - Saturn :smile:

...any more?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't believe in the sun - The Magnetic Fields

Is there an instruction you left out?

Last edited:
Bohemien Rapsody- Queen

Pink Floyd - Eclipse.

http://www.jamesoberg.com/humor.html" (at bottom of page), also known as the L5 song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there's

Total Eclipse, by The Alan Parsons Project.

And

http://www.poemhunter.com/song/albedo-0-39/" by Vangelis, from the album of the same name.
(read the lyrics at the link.):biggrin:

Janus has found his calling!

Any of the earlier songs by Ayreon...

Into the black hole
Through the wormhole
Out of the wormhole
Another time, another space

And the whole Universal Migrator albums...

My house on mars
One small step
To the solar system

and so on.

Three by Klaatu:

Little Neutrino;

Calling Occupants (of Interplanetary Craft), also covered by The Carpenters;

Anus of Uranus.

A star is born - Streisand and Kristofferson
Another one bites the dust - Queen (supernova)
Simply irresistable - Robert Palmer (black hole)

Kurdt said:
Janus has found his calling!

Well anyone can come up with Rocket Man by Elton John or Major Tom by David Bowie

Isn't that Space Oddity? :-p I guess it doesn't count, but The Planets by Holst is, of course, the first thing that came to my mind.

Hendrix - "Third Stone from the Sun"

Oops! I'll add in "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean. More of an ode to van Gogh than to the stars, but it sure beats the heck out of "American Pie"

Hurkyl said:
Isn't that Space Oddity? :-p

Oops, that's right. Major Tom was by Peter Schilling.:blushing:

Follow the Sun - Beatles (The SOHO satellite)

I am a rock - Simon and Garfunkel (Planet Mars)

Mystery achievement - Pretenders (arrival of Apolo XI to Moon) :D

Cast no shadow - Oasis (Claims of cranks that the moon landing photos are false because there's no shadow to the astronaut)

About to crash - Dream Theater (Moments before contact with Mars Polar Lander was lost)

Time stood still - Madonna (Going at the speed of light)

Eclipse-Pink Floyd (should be obvious)
Watcher of the Skies-Genesis (Cat's Eye Nebula)
Eye in the Sky-The Alan Parsons Project (see above)
The Stars Look Down-Rush (should be obvious)

And how can we forget the entire http://www.kongaloid.org/igtb/igtb.html"

Don't laugh, I actually owned this album!

A few more:
Interstellar Overdrive-Pink Floyd
A Saucerful of Secrets-Pink Floyd
Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun-Pink Floyd

Related to Astronomy Song Game - Get Creative!

1. What is the purpose of the Astronomy Song Game?

The purpose of the Astronomy Song Game is to engage and educate people about astronomy through a fun and creative platform. It encourages people to learn about different astronomical concepts and share their knowledge through songwriting.

2. Who can participate in the Astronomy Song Game?

Anyone can participate in the Astronomy Song Game! It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds who have an interest in astronomy and a passion for music. You do not need to have any prior knowledge or experience in either astronomy or songwriting to join.

3. How does the Astronomy Song Game work?

The Astronomy Song Game is a community-driven project where participants can submit original songs that they have written about different astronomical topics. These songs are then shared and showcased on the game's website and social media platforms. The community can also vote for their favorite songs, and winners are chosen periodically.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Astronomy Song Game?

There are several benefits to participating in the Astronomy Song Game, including the opportunity to learn more about astronomy, improve your songwriting skills, and connect with a community of like-minded individuals. It also allows for creative expression and the chance to have your song featured on the game's platforms.

5. Can I submit songs in any language for the Astronomy Song Game?

Yes, you can submit songs in any language for the Astronomy Song Game. However, please provide an English translation of the lyrics so that everyone can understand the meaning and message behind your song. This also helps in the voting process, as songs will be judged based on their lyrics and content.