Astrophysicist salary, job prospects, and which universities are best

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abscissas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life University
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Abscissas
Messages
65
Reaction score
1
Hello PF I am starting my life to be an astrophysicist and was wondering about how much do they get payed, i was thinking about probably becoming a professor if not working at lab hopefully for NASA seems unlikely though. I was also wondering what would be a good university for this, I've never been to keen on the education system. Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In May 2008, astrophysicists averaged an annual salary of $99,730.
one of the best university is MIT USA.
 
Of course the likely big caveat with that statistic is that most people who get a PhD in astrophysics never become professional or paid astrophysicists.
 
What are some jobs that id be able to get with a PhD in astrophysics I hope I don't get my PhD and end up in Mc Donalds couldn't I be a professor as well?
 
Would I be able to transfer to MIT if I perhaps say have a GED ?
 
Last edited:
Let's start at the beginning. You need to attend college, major in physics, have a high college GPA, earn high scores on the GED and physics GRE, and hopefully get some research experience. Then you apply to grad schools for astronomy, astrophysics, or physics PhD programs. That's another 4-8 years of college. Then you apply for jobs as an astrophysicist.

None of these jobs are easy to get. We produce more astrophysicists than we can hire, so many people work outside the field after earning a degree in the field. It's not easy to get a job as a college professor. Again, we produce more PhDs than we need to hire. Every job ad for a physicist or astronomer at a college will receive many hundreds of qualified applicants, and they'll only interview a few people. It's a very popular job with a starting salary average of $56,000 per year. Some schools pay more, most pay less.

You can start at any 4-year college or university offering a physics major. Your local state university is usually the best choice if you can get in; many have excellent programs. MIT accepts very few transfer students. That information is on their admissions website.
 
Thank you Eri you've been more helpful then any and all guidance counselor or teachers that have given me answers to basically the same question I can take the rest from here. I appreciate everyone who replied