Astrophysics Career: 10th Grader Interested in Space

In summary: You may want to look into a PhD in astronomy or physics.A PhD in astronomy or physics usually takes about 5-7 years to complete, and you will then be a professor.A PhD in astronomy or physics usually takes about 5-7 years to complete, and you will then be a professor.
space curious
i am in 10th std. and i am very very interested in space.i want to choose astrophysics or cosmology as a career.but will it be perfect career for me in future?how much salary would i get, as an average?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the salary for faculty at the schools where you would likely end up teaching.

There are not many industry jobs in astrophysics.

Likes space curious
Dr. Courtney said:
Look up the salary for faculty at the schools where you would likely end up teaching.

There are not many industry jobs in astrophysics.
i don't want any industry jobs.what should i do preparation to joining NASA or ISRO for research?

This is the "Introductions Only" forum, no questions. Since someone accidentally replied to your post, I will move it to the proper forum which is Career Guidance.

Also, NASA doesn't hire non-US citizens, you might get hired by a contractor.

space curious said:
i don't want any industry jobs.what should i do preparation to joining NASA or ISRO for research?
There are some jobs called post-doctorate jobs which are at universities teaching other students and if you do chose to do that you are also free to do some reserach of your own and if you do well enough they will give you a a tentative job which means that you can never be fired.

Eva_ said:
... if you do well enough they will give you a a tentative job which means that you can never be fired.

I think you mean tenure, not tentative.

And this thread is nearly a year old.

Eva_ said:
There are some jobs called post-doctorate jobs which are at universities teaching other students and if you do chose to do that you are also free to do some reserach of your own
In the USA at least, postdocs are (short term) research positions. Generally you work for a specific research group within the university, and you get paid out of the group's grant money.

A postdoc is not a real job, more like indentured servitude. Generally, only the insanely ambitious, or merely insane, seek such a position.

• Haha
Likes Not anonymous

1. What is astrophysics and what do astrophysicists do?

Astrophysics is a branch of science that studies the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. Astrophysicists use mathematical and scientific principles to understand the origins, evolution, and structure of these objects.

2. What skills and education are required for a career in astrophysics?

Astrophysicists typically have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They also need critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. To pursue a career in astrophysics, one usually needs at least a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. A graduate degree is often required for research positions.

3. What are some potential career paths in astrophysics?

Astrophysicists can work in various industries such as academia, government agencies, research institutions, and private companies. Some common career paths include research scientist, data analyst, science educator, and science writer.

4. What are some current areas of research in astrophysics?

Some current areas of research in astrophysics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the search for exoplanets, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the study of the early universe. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for more in-depth studies of black holes, gravitational waves, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

5. How can I prepare for a career in astrophysics as a 10th grader?

As a 10th grader, you can start by taking challenging math and science courses such as physics, calculus, and computer science. You can also participate in science fairs, internships, and summer programs related to astrophysics. It is also important to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills and to stay updated on current developments in the field.