1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics or Geophysics as grad work?

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    First of all just joined and wanted to say hello. I am starting at a 4 year in the Fall after some work at a community college.

I am looking on advice on which path i should take for my grad work. Right now the goal is studying, then hoping to find a career, studying gravity and magnetic fields on a planetary scale.

So the big question, should i do Astrophysics or Geophysics as grad work. Thought about doing one for a masters and PhD for the other, but looking for advice. If any questions of me just ask and will answer asap.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2
    Would you rather study the fields themselves or how planets produce these fields?

Are you just starting your upper-level undergraduate work?

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Yes I have done chem 1 and 2, up to calc 3, physical geoelogy, and physics 1 and 2. So besides some fillers yes upper-level left

5. Jun 3, 2012 #4
    As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), Geophysics is the study of geological physics as applied to the Earth.

It seems with what you said about what you want to study, Astrophysics or Astronomy would be the direction to go in as they study things outside of Earth...

Actually upon looking at the Geophysics program at the University of Colorado Boulder (http://www.colorado.edu/geophysics/academics.html), it seems Geophysics might be the direction you want to go in given their additional courses to choose from.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #5
    Yea most of the grad school info you have to dig through but I found roughly it is called planetary science (or something similar.)

The ultimate goal for grad schools, not in any order, Stanford, Cal Tech, and UC Berkley. But I do want to have my undergrad in Physics geared toward the proper grad work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook