Astrophysics: radiation pressue&gas pressure

In summary, radiation pressure and gas pressure are important forces in astrophysics that play key roles in the behavior and formation of celestial bodies. Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation, while gas pressure is the force exerted by gas particles. Both forces can act together or in opposition to create a balance of forces or influence the structure of celestial bodies.
nbky
IMG_20121106_113635.jpg

first sorry for my english.

i wrote the problem and equations.the result is:

critical mass of a star =2,5x mass of the sun.

but i couldn't find the result.pls help me to find the result with this equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
i solved the problem.

tempeture of radiation and tempeture of gas are equal.And when i add a equation on the problem which is P=GM^2/R^4, i solve the problem.

1. What is radiation pressure in astrophysics?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation, such as light, on a surface. In astrophysics, this force plays a crucial role in the dynamics of stars and other celestial bodies. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons to particles in a medium, and can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the equation of state for the medium.

2. How does radiation pressure affect the behavior of stars?

Radiation pressure is one of the main forces that counteract the inward pull of gravity in stars. This force helps to maintain a balance between the inward force of gravity and the outward force of the energy generated by nuclear fusion in the star's core. In massive stars, radiation pressure can even be powerful enough to cause the star to expand and eventually lead to a supernova explosion.

3. What is gas pressure in astrophysics?

Gas pressure is the force exerted by gas particles against the walls of their container. In astrophysics, this pressure is typically due to the thermal motion of gas particles, and is an important factor in understanding the structure and dynamics of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

4. How does gas pressure contribute to the formation of stars and galaxies?

Gas pressure plays a crucial role in the process of star formation. As gas particles in a molecular cloud are pulled together by gravity, their collisions and interactions create a build-up of pressure. This pressure eventually becomes strong enough to counteract the gravitational forces and prevent the gas from collapsing further, allowing it to form into a new star. In the formation of galaxies, gas pressure helps to regulate the distribution and movement of gas within the galaxy, influencing its overall structure.

5. What is the relationship between radiation pressure and gas pressure in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, both radiation pressure and gas pressure play important roles in the dynamics of celestial bodies. In some cases, they can work together to create a balance of forces, such as in stars where radiation pressure counteracts the gravitational pull while gas pressure supports the outer layers of the star. In other cases, they can act in opposition, such as in the formation of planetary systems where the radiation pressure from a star can strip away gas from a protoplanetary disk, reducing the overall gas pressure in the system.