1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At which times will the ball be at a height of 15 meters?

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am in highschool physics. This is my problem that I've been trying to work on: A ball is thrown straight upward with a velocity of +20m/sec on a planet where the acceleration due to gravity is -10m/sec². Find the times at which the ball will be at a height of 15 meters.

2. Relevant equations
    Ok, so I started with this equation: D=ViT+½at². I'm not sure if it's the correct one to use, but I'm pretty sure it is...I think I will need to use the quadratic forumla: x= -b+-b²-4ac (square root)/2a. Sorry, I don't know how to make a square root symbol or any of the other signs?!!?

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, the problem calls for time, so I must need to solve for it. Next, I got this as the possible equation to utilize when it's solved for time: t-v+- v²+f(1/2a)d (square root) / 2(1/2a)
    So far, does everything seem to be right, now all I need to do is "plug and chug?" :) Thanks
    -Greg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just take you equation for D and use the quadratic formula (or some other method) to solve for t when D = 15m. (Note that at t = 0, D = 0)

4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    S=ut + 1/2 at^2
    it should be used in a straight line motion and uniform acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?