Projectile motion: Two Balls and Building

In summary, two balls are thrown vertically from different points on a building. Ball one reaches its maximum height after three seconds and ball two after one second. They cross paths after two seconds and land after six and four seconds respectively. The height of the building is 40 meters, the meeting point is at a max height of 85 meters for ball one and 45 meters for ball two. The question of proving the relationship between height, velocity, gravity, and distance remains unclear with an unrecognizable equation.
yaniv arazi

Homework Statement

1.[/B]
two balls are thrown vertically from two points on a building. at the bottom of the building ball 1 is thrown and from the roof ball 2 is thrown. ball one reaches its maximum height after three seconds and ball two after one second. after two seconds the balls cross paths. find the height of the building, the height of the meeting point, when they land and how long they are in the air for. if i am wrong please explain why. thank you in advance.air resistance is neglected.
how do i prove the relationship
gif.gif

where h is the height v is velocity g is gravity and x is distance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

height of the building=40 meters
ball one hits the ground after 6 seconds
ball two hits the ground after 4 seconds.
max height of ball one=85 meters
max height of ball two=45 meters[/B]

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    498 bytes · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
All but one of the answers look right.

PeroK said:
All but one of the answers look right.
could tell me which one and why.thank you

yaniv arazi said:
could tell me which one and why.thank you

There one that is obviously incompatible with the others.

PeroK said:
There one that is obviously incompatible with the others.
oh yes height of ball one thanks. do you understand question two becuase i do not

yaniv arazi said:
oh yes height of ball one thanks. do you understand question two becuase i do not
I don't know what question 2 means.

Moderator's note: Thread title changed to make it more descriptive of the problem posed.

PeroK said:
I don't know what question 2 means.
Question 2 is the question in which i ask how i prove the relationship its marked under question two. Again, thanks for the help sir!

yaniv arazi said:
Question 2 is the question in which i ask how i prove the relationship its marked under question two. Again, thanks for the help sir!

Yes, I know, but I don't recognise that equation. Where did you find it?

yaniv arazi said:
how do i prove the relationship
$$x^2=\frac{2\ \cdot\ v^2}{g}\ \cdot\ h$$
where h is the height v is velocity g is gravity and x is distance
x is the distance from where to where? v is the velocity of what? h is the height of what?

Edit: I think I can derive this formula under the assumption that x is the total distance traveled by a ball thrown vertically upward and then caught again at the point of the throw.

Hint: ##x=2h##

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a form of motion in which an object or particle is thrown near the Earth's surface and moves along a curved path under the action of gravity.

2. How does projectile motion differ from regular motion?

Projectile motion differs from regular motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical motion simultaneously, while regular motion only involves one dimension of motion.

3. How do the two balls in the experiment demonstrate projectile motion?

The two balls in the experiment demonstrate projectile motion because they are both launched with an initial horizontal velocity and then move along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

4. What role does the building play in the experiment?

The building serves as a vertical barrier in the experiment, allowing one ball to fall straight down and the other to bounce off and continue its trajectory.

5. What factors affect the trajectory of the balls in the experiment?

The trajectory of the balls in the experiment can be affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the gravitational force of the Earth.