Atherosclerosis not linked to our lifestyle or diet

• Thread starter thorium1010
  • Start date
In summary: This means that atherosclerosis has been around for a long time and is not solely caused by modern diets or lifestyles, as some believe. The study also found that diet and exercise can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, but it was still present in ancient populations who likely had a more physically active lifestyle. The authors also noted that the presence of atherosclerosis in premodern humans may be due to factors such as genetics or environmental factors, rather than just diet and exercise. This challenges the commonly held belief that atherosclerosis is a modern ailment caused solely by poor diet and lack of exercise.
thorium1010
A recent lancet article concluding -

In conclusion, atherosclerosis was common in four preindustrial populations, including a preagricultural hunter*gatherer population, and across a wide span of human history. It remains prevalent in contemporary human beings. The presence of atherosclerosis in premodern human beings suggests that the disease is an inherent component of human ageing and not characteristic of any specific diet or lifestyle

http://download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/pdfs/S014067361360598X.pdf

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi thorium, interesting article. I wonder why they say that atherosclerosis is believed to be a modern ailment? It seems the belief they were trying to test must be that the disease wasn't as common for people who lived years ago because of an allegedly better diet (less junk food) and higher level of activity (exercise). But isn't there evidence that diet and exercise DOES reduce atherosclerosis? If so, is the conclusion then that those ancient people also didn't eat right and get enough exercise? :tongue2:

Q_Goest said:
But isn't there evidence that diet and exercise DOES reduce atherosclerosis? If so, is the conclusion then that those ancient people also didn't eat right and get enough exercise? :tongue2:

Yes, there is substantial evidence that the risk of atherosclerosis in humans is associated with diet and level of exercise as well as genetic factors. And yes, the conclusion, given present evidence, is that the diet and lack of heavy physical activity among the ancient Egyptian upper classes can explain the presence of atherosclerotic lesions in mummified remains.

It's also true that atherosclerosis can be induced in a variety of mammalian and bird species by feeding them a high fat diet while in captivity.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)60294-2/fulltext

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2135820/

http://www.nature.com/news/iceman-s-dna-reveals-health-risks-and-relations-1.10130

Note the second link was published in 1948, indicating the evidence is quite old and has been confirmed by the considerable weight of additional studies since.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Stephen. It kinda struck me that we often think of junk food and a sedentary lifestyle as modern afflictions, but obviously that isn't true.

As for those poor old birds and mammalians being fed those high fat diets, I wonder why those scientists did that to those nice animals when all they need to do is autopsy our pets.

Q_Goest said:
Thanks for that Stephen. It kinda struck me that we often think of junk food and a sedentary lifestyle as modern afflictions, but obviously that isn't true.

As for those poor old birds and mammalians being fed those high fat diets, I wonder why those scientists did that to those nice animals when all they need to do is autopsy our pets.

You're welcome. That study with diethylstilbestrol was an early indication of the role of blood lipids in what was then called "atheromatosis". The fact that it can be induced in birds as well as mammals is an indication that the potential for this disease probably developed quite some time ago with the common ancestors. It's also an indication to not feed your pets table food and to make sure they get plenty of exercise.

Last edited:
Q_Goest said:
But isn't there evidence that diet and exercise DOES reduce atherosclerosis? If so, is the conclusion then that those ancient people also didn't eat right and get enough exercise? :tongue2:

The point, the author was making there was particular tribe (among the other tribes studied) which they believed to be a pre agriculture society, that had features suggestive of atherosclerosis, also other tribes lived in ancient times where disease and famine were quite common.
A pre agriculture tribe would have a lot more physical activity compared to a agriculture(atleast that is the assumption).

Honestly if you ask me, i do not know what to make of the article, also i would question their conclusion. But, i am much more irritated that a journal like lancet prints this article with such a conclusion.

The presence of atherosclerosis in premodern human beings suggests that the disease is an inherent component of human ageing and not characteristic of any specific diet or lifestyle

What is atherosclerosis?

Atherosclerosis is a condition in which fatty deposits, called plaques, build up on the inner walls of arteries, causing them to narrow and harden. This can restrict blood flow and increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.

What causes atherosclerosis?

The most common cause of atherosclerosis is a combination of lifestyle and dietary factors, such as smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and obesity. However, there are rare cases in which atherosclerosis is not linked to these risk factors.

What are the other possible causes of atherosclerosis?

In rare cases, atherosclerosis may be caused by genetic factors, hormonal imbalances, and certain medical conditions such as chronic inflammation and autoimmune diseases. Some medications and toxins may also contribute to the development of atherosclerosis.

How is atherosclerosis not linked to lifestyle or diet diagnosed?

Atherosclerosis not linked to lifestyle or diet is often diagnosed through imaging tests such as ultrasound, MRI, or CT scans. These tests can show the presence of plaque buildup and the extent of narrowing in the arteries. Blood tests may also be performed to check for genetic or hormonal factors.

Can atherosclerosis not linked to lifestyle or diet be treated?

Yes, atherosclerosis not linked to lifestyle or diet can be treated. However, the treatment approach may differ from the standard treatment for atherosclerosis. Depending on the underlying cause, treatment may include medication to manage symptoms and prevent further plaque buildup, lifestyle modifications, and in some cases, surgery to remove the plaque or bypass the narrowed arteries.