ATP in Fatty acid oxidation and citric acid cycle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
jenzao
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
At what point in either beta-oxidation or citric acid cycle is ATP used?
I see where ATP is produced in citric acid cycle (originally as GTP) as when succinyl CoA is converted to Succinate, but I can't find any part where ATP is required. Apparently according to my lecture notes, it is required during beta oxidation somewhere but I can't see exactly where? Please help, thanks!

UPDATE: i found out that the 2 ATP are used during fatty acid activtion, but I only see where one is required. (??)

(when fatty acid is added to 1 ATP to form acyladenylate) Where is other one required?? thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jenzao said:
At what point in either beta-oxidation or citric acid cycle is ATP used?
I see where ATP is produced in citric acid cycle (originally as GTP) as when succinyl CoA is converted to Succinate, but I can't find any part where ATP is required. Apparently according to my lecture notes, it is required during beta oxidation somewhere but I can't see exactly where? Please help, thanks!

UPDATE: i found out that the 2 ATP are used during fatty acid activtion, but I only see where one is required. (??)

(when fatty acid is added to 1 ATP to form acyladenylate) Where is other one required?? thanks
Could the question be referring to the hydrolysis of the resulting pyrophosphate?

Fatty acid + ATP <-----> Acyl adenylate + PPi
PPi + pyrophosphatase -------> 2Pi

What about odd number fatty acid degradation? How is the final product (propionyl CoA) dealt with?