How Many ATP Molecules Are Used in a Single Bicep Muscle Contraction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Muscle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Kawrae
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
>> Calculate approximately how many molecules of ATP are required for a standard muscle like the biceps during the contraction phase of a single twitch.

I honestly do not even know where to begin here... I don't think he wants us to go through and just outline Glycolysis/Kreb's Cycle/ETC because that's just producing ATP in general, not for a specific contraction. And that's not saying how much is NEEDED...

I've looked around on the internet but can't really seem to come up with an answer. I know that calcium is needed but again, I can't figure out how much.

Does anyone think they could help me out? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are tons of different ways to approach this problem, from the very simple to the very involved. I'll go a very simple way. Let's take the bicep, for instance. Let's say you lift a 10kg weight 0.5m directly upward (using only your bicep somehow). This requires your bicep to do:
$$W = mgh = (10kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.5m) = 49J$$
worth of work. ATP hydrolysis releases 30.5 kJ mol-1. This means that the number of moles of ATP required to do 49 J worth of work is:
$$\frac{49J}{30500J\cdot mol^{-1}}=1.6\times 10^{-3} mol$$
To get number of molecules, simply multiply by Avogadro's number:
$$(1.6\times 10^{-3} mol)(6.022 \times 10^{23} mol^{-1}) = 9.6 \times 10^{20}$$
So an order of magnitude estimate would be roughly 1021 molecules of ATP per muscle contraction.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SciencewithDrJ