Citric acid effect on body chemistry pH

In summary: When an acid is alkalised it can form products which are alkalising, but in the process it reduces alkalinity.
dansavage
I see a lot of quacky sites about acid/alkaline body chemistry claiming that lemon juice and orange juice make the body alkaline. They both contain citric acid, orange juice also has lots of potassium... I cannot think of any mechanism whereby citric acid would somehow cause a persons body to become more alkaline. The theory is that every food when burned forms either an alkali or acidic ash, and this ash has an effect to alkalize or acidify the body, not just the blood. I can't find any evidence that citric acid alkalizes anything although sodium citrate is an antacid.
I can't find anything online except for these sites that claim it does alkalize the body...

Does citric acid really alkalize the body or blood? If so by what mechanism?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Quackery squared.

I am not sure about biological details, there can be some additional things that I am not aware of. But in general pH of the body is maintained by very effective mechanisms that don't allow it to change by more than several hundreds of pH unit, no matter what we eat. That's what homeostasis is about. Blood pH is kept between 7.35 and 7.45.

Last edited:
dansavage said:
I see a lot of quacky sites about acid/alkaline body chemistry claiming that lemon juice and orange juice make the body alkaline.
Well you came to the wrong place if you want an explanation. We don't make it a habit to explain quackery.

Nobody understands the alkalizing diet including the frauds that support it.

My wife came to me with this and we had a long discussion about it (mostly me beating my head against a wall), imo, this is a classic case of quacks misinterpreting and misrepresenting basic chemistry.

Acid is acid, they acidify, bases are alkali, they alkalise.
When an acid is alkalised it can form products which are alkalising, but in the process it reduces alkalinity.
In the case of Citric Acid, when alkalised it can form citrates which do play a role in the body, primarily as an oxidant of fats/proteins/carbs. Fundamentally though, it was alkalised, so it reduced alkalinity, it acidified the solution, what is left over can still be alkaline (in pH), no problems there (so long as there was sufficient alkalinity), but citric acid is not alkalising in itself, it's an acid.
That's where I think they've gotten messed up, sure, it forms products that can alkalise...but they only did that by being alkalised (and therefore reducing alkalinity) in the first place.
adding acid can only acidify.

Onsan said:
(mostly me beating my head against a wall)

I can offer sympathy, not much more.

When an acid is alkalised it can form products which are alkalising, but in the process it reduces alkalinity.

You have lost me somewhere between "alkalised" and "alkalising". I guess by "alkalised" you meant "neutralized".

to make alkaline by forming a conjugate base.

Onsan said:
to make alkaline by forming a conjugate base.

What do you mean by "make alkaline" then?

Process in which acid reacts with OH- forming conjugate base is called neutralization.

What is citric acid and how does it affect the body's pH?

Citric acid is a weak organic acid that is naturally found in citrus fruits such as lemons and limes. When ingested, citric acid reacts with water in the body to release hydrogen ions, lowering the pH of the body's fluids and making them more acidic.

What are the potential health effects of consuming citric acid?

Consuming citric acid in small amounts is generally considered safe for most people. However, consuming large amounts of citric acid can cause gastrointestinal discomfort, such as nausea and diarrhea. It can also worsen symptoms of acid reflux and heartburn in some individuals.

Does citric acid have any benefits for the body?

Citric acid can have a few potential benefits for the body. It is commonly used as a preservative in food and beverages, as it can prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. It may also improve the absorption of certain nutrients, such as iron, in the body.

Can citric acid affect the pH balance of the body in a negative way?

Consuming excessive amounts of citric acid can lower the pH of the body's fluids too much, which can disrupt the body's natural pH balance. This can lead to health issues such as tooth erosion, kidney stones, and changes in the body's electrolyte levels.

Are there any precautions to take when consuming citric acid?

Individuals with certain health conditions, such as kidney disease, may need to limit their intake of citric acid. It is also important to read food and beverage labels carefully, as citric acid is commonly used as an additive. If you experience any adverse reactions after consuming citric acid, consult with your doctor.