Autist exposes the madness of non-autists

• Medical
  • Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
In summary, the video features Amanda Baggs, an autistic woman, demonstrating her unique way of communicating. It also discusses the idea of language and communication, and how it is not just limited to human interaction but also includes our relationship with the environment. This highlights the importance of understanding and appreciating the influence of our surroundings on ourselves.
PIT2
This is a video about and made by an autistic woman named Amanda Baggs.

- the first part shows how she communicates
- the second part translates it to our non-autistic language

I found the video on:

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2007/01/autism_in_my_langua.html
http://joyofautism.blogspot.com/2007/01/she-speaks-for-herself.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Pretty interesting, however it is usually considered that one should have little reason to speak other than to communicate and communication assumes another party being communicated with. I don't think one can say that she was communicating with the water or the towel or whatever.

There is a sense that a language is not a language unless people use it to communicate. However I certainly can understand why she would interact with the environment; I do think it is fascinating to appreciate how we influence things around us at the same time as they influence us.

We aren't separate from the environment and can't be understood in a vacuum. The relationship between ourselves and the environment is as much a part of who we are as are our individual natures.

After watching Amanda Baggs' video, I was struck by the powerful message she conveys about the experience of being autistic and how society often fails to understand or accommodate those with autism. The first part of the video, where she communicates in her own unique way, serves as a reminder that there are many different ways to express oneself and communicate, and we should not dismiss or judge those who communicate differently from us.

The second part of the video, where her communication is translated into non-autistic language, highlights the stark contrast between how autistic individuals communicate and how society expects them to communicate. It exposes the limitations and narrowness of our understanding of communication, and how we often dismiss or ignore those who do not fit into our preconceived notions of what is considered "normal."

Amanda Baggs' video is a powerful reminder to us all to be more open-minded and inclusive towards those who communicate differently. It also challenges us to question our own assumptions about what is considered "madness" and to recognize that it is often our own lack of understanding and acceptance that causes the most harm to individuals with autism. I highly recommend watching this video and taking the time to reflect on its message.

What is "Autist exposes the madness of non-autists"?

"Autist exposes the madness of non-autists" is a book written by an autistic author that explores the perspectives and experiences of those with autism and how they are often misunderstood and discriminated against by non-autistic individuals.

Why is this book important?

This book sheds light on the challenges that individuals with autism face in a society that is not always accommodating or understanding of their needs. It brings awareness to the discrimination and ableism that still exists towards those with autism and encourages empathy and acceptance.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of the experiences and perspectives of individuals with autism. This includes individuals with autism themselves, their family members, educators, and anyone interested in learning more about neurodiversity.

What can readers expect to learn from this book?

Readers can expect to learn about the challenges and discrimination faced by individuals with autism, as well as the strengths and unique perspectives that come with being on the autism spectrum. The book also offers insights on how to create a more inclusive and understanding society for those with autism.

Is this book based on scientific research?

While this book may reference scientific research, it is primarily a personal and introspective account of the author's experiences and perspectives as an individual with autism. However, it can still provide valuable insights and perspectives for readers interested in the intersection of autism and science.