Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Autocorrelation and autocorrelation time

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    I have Metropolis-Markov algorithm and I need to determine integrated autocorrelation time. In order to do that i have to find autocorrelation and I don't quite get what to do.

For example, after equilibration I did N sweeps, took measurements at each one and I obtained N results [tex]O_i,i=1...N[/tex], for some observable.

Definition of autocorrelation says

[tex]A_O (t)=\frac{\langle O_i O_{i+t}\rangle-\langle O_i\rangle^2}{\langle O_i^2\rangle-\langle O_i\rangle^2}[/tex]

What are those averages over? Should I average over [tex]i[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    One more question. I have obtained N sweeps, so basically time goes from [tex]i=0[/tex] to [tex]i=N[/tex]. When I want to obtain autocorrelation for lag [tex]t=N-1[/tex] i just have

[tex]A_O(t=N-1)=\frac{O_1 O_N-\langle O\rangle^2}{\sigma_O^2}[/tex]

so I don't have any averaging for term [tex]O_1 O_N[/tex]. Is that right or duration of my data should always be longer than maximum lag I'm calculating autocorrelation for?

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a single observation, the formula will still work in the arithmetical sense, but your results will not have a high level of confidence because you'd be making an inference about the population based on a single individual observation, O(1) x O(N). The longer the duration (relative to the lag), the higher will be the level of statistical confidence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook