1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average and instantaneous velocity

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the following formula for distance, find the average velocity on the interval [1,3]
    S(t) = t/(1+t^2)

2. Relevant equations
    Vavg = (S(t0) - S(t1)) / (t0 - t1)

or

Vavg = (V0 + V1)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I get two different answers and I need help understand why.

Vavg = (S(1) - S(3)) / (1-3)

Vavg = (1/2 - 3/10) / -2

Vavg = -2/20 = -1/10

Now using a different method, getting the instantaneous velocity at t = 1 and t = 3 by taking derivative of S(t) -> S'(t) = (1-t^2)/(1+t^2)^2

Vavg = (S'(1) + S'(3))/2

Vavg = (-8/100)/2 = (-2/25)/2 = -1/25

Why am I getting different averages here?? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Judging by your work, I'm guessing you meant S(t)=t/(1+t^2), not S(t)=t/(1+t)^2. And you can't average instantaneous velocities to get average velocities. The first one is right, the second one isn't.

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    Yes I'm sorry that's what I meant. But I don't understand, why can't you do what I did? If (v0 + v) / 2 = average velocity, and v0 and v are velocities at an instant in time, I don't understand how the second method doesn't work?

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because they are two totally different notions of average velocity. If I start at rest in city A and drive to city B and park, then my beginning and ending velocities are zero. My average velocity, in the sense you want, isn't zero.

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5
    Got it, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted