Average distance to surface of sphere

In summary, the problem asks for the average distance a neutron will travel before striking the surface of a sphere. The steps given in the problem are to integrate over theta, phi, and a, and to divide by the sphere's volume. The equation for the average distance is found using the law of cosines and the angle θ. If you know the angle θ, you can find the average distance using the triangle method.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

First, the problem, quoted verbatim:

"Neutrons are created (by a nuclear reaction) inside a hollow sphere of radius R. The newly created neutrons are uniformly distributed over the spherical volume. Assuming that all directions are equally probable (isotropy), what is the average distance a neutron will travel before striking the surface of the sphere? Assume straight line motion, no collisions."

The problem then has several "steps" to help you along. I'm stuck on the first one, setting up the integral,

[itex]\bar{r}=3R/2\int^{1}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\sqrt{1-k^{2}sin^{2}\theta}*k^{2}sin\theta*dk*d\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've mostly got it, except that my expression under the square root is wrong, so I think I'm having a conceptual issue with how to calculate the average distance. I found the distance from a point within the sphere at distance a from the orgin on the z-axis to a given point on the sphere using the law of cosines:

d=[itex]\sqrt{R^{2}+a^{2}-2Racos\theta}[/itex]

Using this distance, I integrated over theta, phi, and a, then divided by the volume of the sphere. After substituting Rk = a, I got:

[itex]\bar{r}=3R/2\int^{1}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\sqrt{1+k^2-2kcos\theta}*k^{2}sin\theta*dk*d\theta[/itex]

So clearly I'm making a mistake with the distance. Could someone set me straight?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the angle ##\theta## in the expression [itex]\bar{r}=3R/2\int^{1}_{0}\int^{\pi}_{0}\sqrt{1-k^{2}sin^{2}\theta}*k^{2}sin\theta*dk*d\theta[/itex] is the blue angle ##\theta## as shown in the attached figure (rather than the green angle ##\small \theta## shown).

Your expression ##d=\sqrt{R^{2}+a^{2}-2Racos\theta}## is in terms of ##\theta##.

What expression do you get for ##d## in terms of ##\theta##, ##R##, and ##k##?

Attachments

• thetas.png
    thetas.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 907
Wow! Thanks, I never would have thought of that. And it makes me feel a little better knowing I wasn't completely off.

I didn't see any real clean way to find the distance using that angle, but I managed to make do with a right triangle and the quadratic formula. If you know of a nicer way to see it, I'd be interested.

But what I found using your angle is that the distance d is equal to:

[itex]-a*cos\theta+\sqrt{R^{2}-a^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/itex]

And it looks like when you integrate that over theta from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] like in my original integral, the term outside the square root disappears (since adding the volume element gives us sinθcosθ), and leaves you with the expression found in my book.

Does that sound right? Out of curiosity, how did you know to look at that angle? Is that common?

Last edited:
Opus_723 said:
I didn't see any real clean way to find the distance using that angle, but I managed to make do with a right triangle and the quadratic formula. If you know of a nicer way to see it, I'd be interested.

But what I found using your angle is that the distance d is equal to:

[itex]-a*cos\theta+\sqrt{R^{2}-a^{2}sin^{2}\theta}[/itex]

Yes, that looks right. Initially I used the law of cosines in the form ##R^2 = a^2 + d^2 + 2ad cos\theta## and then solved for d using the quadratic formula. Geometrically, you can use the attached figure where you can see that ##d + a cos \theta = \sqrt{R^2-a^2 sin^2 \theta}##. Maybe this is similar to what you did.

And it looks like when you integrate that over theta from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] like in my original integral, the term outside the square root disappears (since adding the volume element gives us sinθcosθ), and leaves you with the expression found in my book.

Does that sound right? Out of curiosity, how did you know to look at that angle? Is that common?

Yes, that sounds right.

The reason for using the angle θ as defined here is because the neutron has the same probability of moving away from its initial point in any direction. So, the probability that the neutron travels away between ##\theta## and ##\theta + d\theta## and azimuthal angle ##\phi## and ##\phi + d\phi## is ##(1/4\pi) sin \theta \: d\theta \: d\phi##. Integrating this over all azimuthal angles ##0 < \phi < 2 \pi## gives ##(1/2)sin\theta \: d\theta## for the probability of heading out between ##\theta## and ##\theta + d\theta## for all azimuthal angles ##\phi##. This is how the ##(1/2)sin\theta \:d\theta## ends up appearing in the integral.

If you measure the angle ##\Theta## from the center of the sphere, then the expression for the probability that the neutron (at distance ##a## from the center) heads out between ##\Theta## and ##\Theta + d\Theta## is a much more complicated function of ##\Theta##.

Attachments

• thetas2.png
    thetas2.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 579
Actually had something to say but Latex here is beyond me. I write articles with LaTex in TeXworks but am at a complete loss here. Sorry. I tried to post something but can't delete it.

I think the integration is easier if you turn the problem on its head. All exit points are equally likely, so instead you can ask the average distance from a fixed point P on the surface to points in the interior.
If the sphere is radius R, consider the points distance r from P. These form a spherical cap. The cap subtends an angle ##2\alpha## at P, ##r=2R\cos(\alpha)##. The area of the cap is ##2\pi r^2(1-\cos(\alpha))##. Substituting to eliminate ##\cos(\alpha)## we get an easy integral in r.

Likes TSny

1. What is the formula for calculating the average distance to the surface of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the average distance to the surface of a sphere is: d = R/2, where d is the average distance and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. Why is it important to know the average distance to the surface of a sphere?

Knowing the average distance to the surface of a sphere is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as astronomy, physics, and geology. It can help in determining the distance between objects, calculating the volume and surface area of spheres, and understanding the behavior of particles on the surface of a sphere.

3. How is the average distance to the surface of a sphere related to the diameter of the sphere?

The average distance to the surface of a sphere is half of the diameter of the sphere. This means that the average distance is directly proportional to the diameter, as the diameter increases, the average distance also increases.

4. Can the average distance to the surface of a sphere be zero?

No, the average distance to the surface of a sphere cannot be zero. This is because the average distance is always half of the radius, and the radius of a sphere cannot be zero as it is the distance from the center of the sphere to any point on its surface.

5. How does the average distance to the surface of a sphere change if the sphere is compressed or stretched?

If a sphere is compressed or stretched, the radius changes, but the average distance remains the same. This is because the formula for calculating the average distance only takes into account the radius of the sphere, not its shape or volume.