Potential inside a uniformly charged solid sphere

Homework Statement:

Use Eq 2.29 to calculate potential inside a uniformly charged solid sphere of radius R and total charge q. Compare tour answer to Prob 2.21

Relevant Equations:

Eq. 2.29:
$$V(\vec r)=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho (\vec r')}{\mu} d\tau' $$
where ##\mu## is distance from ##d\tau'##
Well, in this problem, I try to use
$$d \tau '= \mu ^2 \sin {\theta} {d\mu} {d\theta} {d\phi}$$
With these domain integration:
$$0<\mu<r$$
$$0<\theta<\pi$$
$$0<\phi<2\pi$$
, I get $$V=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3Qr^2}{2R^3}$$

This result is wrong because doesn't match with Prob 2.21, which potential is determined with line integral.
I suspect that I made a mistake when define the ##\mu##, which is distance from volume element to point of analysis. Could you please what is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Could you please what is wrong and how to fix it?
Using telepathy ? show us what you do to get that answer !

Using telepathy ? show us what you do to get that answer !
As i've explained before, i think the distance ##\mu## is the same with integration variable in ##d \tau##.
For details, I attach my work
PicsArt_09-16-04.40.19.jpg

In my work, I use variable V for volume and potential. So, i changed after take a look again in grifth. He used tau to define volume. So in thia forum I use tau

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Using ##\tau## or ##\tau'## is just fine (it is only a name).
But I don't see the distance ##\mu## from a point ##\vec r## to ##\vec r'## of your volume element ##d\tau'## anywhere.
Make a sketch to convince yourself that ##\mu\ne|\vec r'|##

[edited formula]

Using ##\tau## or ##\tau'## is just fine (it is only a name).
But I don't see the distance ##\mu## from a point ##\vec r## to ##\vec r'## of your volume element ##d\tau'## anywhere.
Make a sketch to convince yourself that ##\mu\ne|\vec r'|##

[edited formula]
IMG_20200916_184628.jpg

Well, then what is the relation between ##\mu## and ##r##?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
It might go easier if you choose the axis orientation in such a way that P is on the ##z## axis ...
1600272454098.png

Likes pasmith
pasmith
Homework Helper
It might go easier if you choose the axis orientation in such a way that P is on the ##z## axis ...
This is strongly hinted at by the question defining [itex]z[/itex] as the distance from [itex]O[/itex] to [itex]P[/itex].

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Having seen multiple threads from you, I've noticed that you always seem to get stuck on what ##\vec r## is, what ##\vec r'## is, and what Griffith's denotes as script r is. Can you describe what each represents in words, both in general and in the context of this problem?

View attachment 269522
Well, this sketch really helpful to answer Vela's question. From this sketch, (also in general):
##\vec r## is position of the infinitesimal element from origin.
##\vec r'## is position of point of analysis (in this case is P)
##\vec \mu## is position of point of analysis wrt infinitesimal element.
Is that right?

This is strongly hinted at by the question defining [itex]z[/itex] as the distance from [itex]O[/itex] to [itex]P[/itex].
Which part of the question suggest the P is at z Axis?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Well, this sketch really helpful to answer Vela's question. From this sketch, (also in general):
##\vec r## is position of the infinitesimal element from origin.
##\vec r'## is position of point of analysis (in this case is P)
##\vec \mu## is position of point of analysis wrt infinitesimal element.
Is that right?
Based on the BvU's figure, that's right. Griffiths, however, uses ##\vec r## for the position of P and ##\vec r'## for the position of the charge element, and he defines ##\vec \mu = \vec r - \vec r'##. In my copy of the book (2nd edition), Figure 2.3 illustrates this convention for discrete charges, but it's the same idea.

In the integral, the volume element ##d\tau## is always ##d\tau = dx'\,dy'\,dz'## in cartesian coordinates and ##d\tau = r'^2\sin\theta'\,dr'\,d\theta'\,d\phi'## in spherical coordinates. Fix that in your attempt and see where you get to.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
The question doesn't, but if you look at the various figures in Griffiths, you might notice the distance from O to P is typically labeled ##z##.

When you have spherical symmetry, as you do in this problem, you should know that ##V## can only depend on ##r## and not on ##\theta## or ##\phi##. You have the freedom to choose any point that's a distance ##r## from the origin, so you might as well choose the point on the ##z## axis to simplify the math.

pasmith
Homework Helper
The charged sphere is spherically symmetric. This symmetry is broken only by the designation of a particular point as [itex]P[/itex]. It i therefore open to you to orient the axes so that [itex]P[/itex] is at [itex](0,0,z)[/itex].

Question setters are not trying to confuse you. If they denote a distance by a symbol normally used for a coordinate axis, then they are giving you a hint as to how you should set up your axes.

Can I assume that z is ##r' cos \theta##?
So far: (with Griffith Notation)
##\mu = \sqrt(z^2 +r'^2 - 2zr' cos \theta)##
$$dV = \frac {\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{r'^2 sin \theta' dr' d\phi' d\theta'}{\sqrt{z^2 +r'^2 - 2zr' cos \theta}} $$

If now I assumme ##zz=r'cos\theta## then:
$$dV=\frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{r'^2 \sin \theta' dr' d\phi' d\theta'}{\sqrt{r'^2 \cos^2 \theta' +r'^2 - 2r'^2 \cos^2 \theta'}}$$
$$dV=\frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{r'^2 \sin \theta' dr' d\phi' d\theta'}{\sqrt{r'^2 - r'^2 \cos^2 \theta'}}$$
$$dV=\frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{r'^2 \sin \theta' dr' d\phi' d\theta'}{\sqrt{r'^2 \sin^2 \theta'}}$$
$$dV=\frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{r'^2 \sin \theta' dr' d\phi' d\theta'}{r'\sin \theta'}$$
$$dV=\frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} r' dr' d\phi' d\theta'$$

I think this is Wrong. ...

The question doesn't, but if you look at the various figures in Griffiths, you might notice the distance from O to P is typically labeled ##z##.

When you have spherical symmetry, as you do in this problem, you should know that ##V## can only depend on ##r## and not on ##\theta## or ##\phi##. You have the freedom to choose any point that's a distance ##r## from the origin, so you might as well choose the point on the ##z## axis to simplify the math.
Thanks for the information. Now, what I should to do is the integration right? Does the integration easy to be solved?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Can I assume that z is ##r' cos \theta##?
You mean ##r' \cos\theta'##, right? ##\theta## and ##\theta'## aren't interchangeable.

You don't need to assume anything. What do ##r' \cos\theta'## and ##z## represent? If they correspond to the same thing, you can set them equal to each other. If not, you can't.

##r' \cos\theta'## is the ##z##-coordinate of ##\vec r'##, the position of the infinitesimal element of charge. ##z## is the ##z##-coordinate of ##\vec r##, the point ##P## of interest. They're clearly not the same.

Ok, now this is my correction:
$$V= \frac{\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} (2\pi) \int_{r'_1 = 0}^{r'_2=R} \int_{\theta'_1 = 0}^{\theta'_2 = \pi} \frac{r'^2 \sin \theta'}{\sqrt{z^2+r'^2 - 2zr' cos \theta'}} d\theta' dr'$$
$$V= \frac{(2\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{r'_1 = 0}^{r'_2=R} \frac{r'}{z} \left[\sqrt{z^2+r'^2 + 2zr'} - \sqrt{z^2+r'^2 - 2zr'}\right] dr'$$
Because z inside the sphere, so ##\sqrt{z^2+r'^2 - 2zr'} = r' - z##
And the other root is ##\sqrt{z^2+r'^2 +2zr'} =r' + z##
Therefore:
$$V= \frac{(2\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{r'_1 = 0}^{r'_2=R} \frac{r'}{z} \left[(r' + z) - (r' - z)\right] dr'$$
$$V= \frac{(4\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{r'_1 = 0}^{r'_2=R} r'dr'$$
$$V= \frac{(2\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left[r'^2\right]_0^R dr'$$
$$V= \frac{(2\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} R^2$$
$$V= \frac{(2\pi)\rho}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} R^2$$
How to express rho interms of Q?

Last edited:
Or my domain of integration was wrong?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Domain seems OK, but
Because z inside the sphere, so ##\ \sqrt{z^2+r'^2 - 2zr'} = r' - z##
is wrong for ##\ r' - z<0##

How to express rho in terms of Q ?
How about ##Q = \rho V## 😁 ?

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
This thread shows, why differential equations are so much preferable to using general solutions. After the confusion is hopefully solved in this thread, I strongly recommend to solve the problem, using the local form of electrostatics,i .e.,
$$\Delta \Phi=-\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \rho,$$
making use of the simplifying fact that in this problem ##\rho=\rho(r)## only and thus also ##\Phi## should be a function of ##r## only. Expressing then the Laplacian in spherical coordinates and applying it to this highly symmetric case, makes the solution a no-brainer!

Likes BvU and etotheipi
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I agree, but Griffith clearly intended the current approach ...