1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Speed? How do I calculate?

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Average Speed? How do I calculate??

How do I calculate average speed on a position time graph? Velocity time graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    On a position vs time graph, the average velocity is found by dividing the total displacement by the total time. In other words, (position at final point - position at initial point) / (time at final point - time at initial point).

For a velocity vs time graph, you can simply do (Final velocity - initial velocity) / 2.
  4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    For the velocity time graph, how do I get the average speed for the entire set of data? It starts at the origin, then goes up to (120,25) for A, and then the final point is F which is (720, -140)
  5. Mar 1, 2008 #4
    In that case you would have to find the total displacement of the object, and divide that by the time it traveled.

To find the displacement on a V(t) graph, you need to look at the area under the curve. In this case, you would get two triangles, one above and one below the t axis (assuming the lines connecting your points are straight). Subtract the area of the triangle under the t axis from the area of the triangle above the t axis, and divide this by total time traveled. You are subtracting area below from area above because the object is traveling with a negative velocity (backwards) in the region below the t axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?