1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average speed problem What am I missing?

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person walks from point a to point b at a speed of 5 m/s. Then she turns around and walks from point b to point a at a speed of 3 m/s. What is her average speed?

2. Relevant equations
    Average speed is equal to d/ change in t.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know the distance is 2d. I also know the acceleration is constant, though I don't know if I need it for the problem. So I tried to do 5m/s + 3m/s /2 to get the answer. That led to the wrong path. Since we don't have time, I'm assuming that maybe I use a kinematic equation. However, we don't know what acceleration is, other than it is constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Here the person is walking with uniform velocity.
    From a to b the time taken is t1 = d/5 m/s
    From b to a the time taken is t2 = d/3 m/s
    Find total time and total distance. Then the average velocity = total distance / total time.

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    I see that total distance is 2, or 2d. I am having trouble seeing how to get the time.

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Total time t = t1 + t1 = d/(5 m/s) + d/(3 m/s)

6. Aug 31, 2009 #5
    Tried working it out, but I'm not seeing it here. I see that by manipulation you get t=d/v at which point you plug in the speed that I am given. Can you explain a bit more. I'm quite confused here.

7. Aug 31, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Average velocity = 2d/t = 2d/( d/5 + d/3)

8. Aug 31, 2009 #7
    Oooooooo!!! It all makes sense! Got it! Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. The trick was seeing that the d's would cancel! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook