Average speed vs average velocity

In summary, the average speed of a particle with a displacement of r1 = (35.0i + 12.0j + 14.0k) m at 29.0 s and r2 = (35.0i + 6.0j + 11.0k) m at 53.0 s is 0.28 m/s. This is calculated using the formula v_{avg} = \frac{d}{\Delta t}, where d is the total distance traveled. The average velocity, on the other hand, can be calculated using v_{x, avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}, where x is the displacement. The average velocity is in three components
roam

Homework Statement

(a) A particle has a displacement r1 = (35.0i + 12.0j + 14.0k) m at 29.0 s. At 53.0 s the ball has a displacement of r2 = (35.0i + 6.0j + 11.0k) m.

What is the average speed of the ball between 29.0 s and 53.0 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

Having checked the answers, I already know that the average velocity of the ball between 29.0 s and 53.0 s is:

[tex]0i-0.25j-0.125k[/tex].

The answers suggests that the average speed of the ball is 0.28 m/s. How do I obtain this answer?

I got the average velocity using the formula [tex]v_{x, avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex] where x is the displacement. I think to find the average speed I must use [tex]v_{avg} = \frac{d}{\Delta t}[/tex] where d is the total distance traveled. But I don't understand why average velocity is in 3 components whereas the average speed is just a single number!

Physics news on Phys.org
Speed is a scalar quantity. Velocity is a vector, or course.

What is the length of the vector [tex]0\hat{i}-0.25\hat{j}-0.125\hat{k}[/tex] ?

What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while average velocity is the displacement divided by the total time taken. In simple terms, average speed only takes into account the magnitude of the movement, while average velocity also takes into account the direction of the movement.

Which one is more important, average speed or average velocity?

It depends on the context. If the movement is in a straight line, then average speed and average velocity will be the same, and both are equally important. However, if the movement involves changes in direction, then average velocity becomes more important as it gives a better understanding of the overall motion.

Can average speed be negative while average velocity is positive?

Yes, this is possible. Average speed is always a positive value, while average velocity takes into account the direction of the movement. So, if an object moves in one direction for a certain distance and then moves back in the opposite direction for the same distance, the average speed will remain the same, but the average velocity will be zero.

How is average speed and average velocity calculated in physics?

In physics, average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the total time taken. Displacement is the change in position of an object, while distance is the total path traveled.

Can average speed and average velocity be the same?

Yes, under certain circumstances, average speed and average velocity can be the same. This happens when an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed and no changes in direction. In this case, the magnitude and direction of the movement are the same, making the average speed and average velocity equal.