1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Average speed vs average velocity

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) A particle has a displacement r1 = (35.0i + 12.0j + 14.0k) m at 29.0 s. At 53.0 s the ball has a displacement of r2 = (35.0i + 6.0j + 11.0k) m.

What is the average speed of the ball between 29.0 s and 53.0 s?

3. The attempt at a solution

Having checked the answers, I already know that the average velocity of the ball between 29.0 s and 53.0 s is:

[tex]0i-0.25j-0.125k[/tex].

The answers suggests that the average speed of the ball is 0.28 m/s. How do I obtain this answer?

I got the average velocity using the formula [tex]v_{x, avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex] where x is the displacement. I think to find the average speed I must use [tex]v_{avg} = \frac{d}{\Delta t}[/tex] where d is the total distance traveled. But I don't understand why average velocity is in 3 components whereas the average speed is just a single number!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2
    Speed is a scalar quantity. Velocity is a vector, or course.

What is the length of the vector [tex]0\hat{i}-0.25\hat{j}-0.125\hat{k}[/tex] ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook