Electron and ion temperatures in FRC plasma with p-11B or D-D fusion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
TESL@
Messages
122
Reaction score
8
Hello,

I need to know the average temperatures of electrons and ions in a field-reversed configuration (FRC) plasma, particularly p-11B or D-D. However I couldn't find anything on the internet. I appreciate any piece of information.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TESL@ said:
Hello,

I need to know the average temperatures of electrons and ions in a field-reversed configuration (FRC) plasma, particularly p-11B or D-D. However I couldn't find anything on the internet. I appreciate any piece of information.

Thank you.
I think that the goal is to get up to 10 keV in an FRC system. There is one example in the following document of 2 keV for ions, and 0.5 keV for electrons.
http://fire.pppl.gov/fpa06_hoffman_frc.pdf
http://depts.washington.edu/rppl/programs/frc_intro.html
http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/research/frc (some papers)

Other sources are shooting for a temperature of 5 keV, which is rather modest.

D-D would certainly be easier the p-11B, in which the B ions would have a lower temperature than the p or e. B would represent a significant penalty due to Z = 5.
 
Last edited by a moderator: