1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Value for pulse waveform

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    Heres the graph....

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4770/graphfc6.jpg

Im trying to find the Average value for a pulse waveform....

the formula is

Vavg = baseline + (duty cycle) (amplitude)

How do I treat the amplitude since it varies....Do I treat the cuty cycle differently as well...?.the staircase type waveform continues to increase.....should I do each one individually?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How is the average of *anything* defined? It's a ratio of sums, right? What are the sums?

You can use wikipedia.org to give you some tutorial help on general average forumulas, and apply that to your problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

If you still are confused, please show us some attempts at your solution, so that we can offer tutorial help.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    This is what I did using the formula,

baseline + (duty cycle)(amplitude)

= 0 + (1ms/7ms)(6) = .856 mV.......but that doesnt make sense for the avg.....

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

berkeman

Hint, what is the average of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6?

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    the average would be 3.......but that would give me an even smaller overall average for the pulse waveform........or would I have to do the same for the dutycycle...?

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

berkeman

Well, if 3V is the average for the first 7ms, what is the average for the next 7ms, and the next 7ms, ...

Then what can you say about the average voltage for the overall repeated waveform.... ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?