Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value of sin(i) in radial velocities (exoplanets)

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    When a stars radial velocity is measured in search for a planet, the planet imparts a radial velocity shift proportional to [itex]m\sin i\text{ where }i[/itex] is the orbital inclination of the planet with respect to our line of sight and [itex]m[/itex] is the planet mass. I've heard that even though the inclinations are generally unknown, the true masses can be approximated for a large sample by multiplying [itex]m\sin i[/itex] values by 1.33. I'm wondering where this value comes from?

Assuming a uniform distribution of [itex]i[/itex], [itex]\int^\pi_0 \sin i di/\pi[/itex] gives a value of [itex]2/\pi[/itex] implying that the [itex]m\sin i[/itex] should be multiplied by [itex]\pi/2[/itex] (1.57, opposed to the 1.33 I've seen). Does anyone have a derivation or reference for this number?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have a derivation for this number, but it seems like your phrase, "Assuming a uniform distribution of i" is where the discrepancy might come about. It could very well be that the i values are weighted in some way, to take into account that some inclination angles are observationally more likely than others.

I mean, for one thing, if i = 0 (or is it pi -- whichever one corresponds to the system being face-on), then there IS no radial component to the planet's velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook