The precision in measurements of radial velocities by DE?

In summary, a Jupiter-like planet orbiting a star similar to the Sun at a distance from the mother star could be detected if it has a mass close to that of the Sun and its orbital period is longer than a year.
Omsin
Hello, I have an exercise here that I need help with.

The precision in measurements of radial velocities by the Doppler effect is currently 1 m/s. Can a Jupiter like planet orbiting a star similar to the Sun at a distance from the mother star equal to the Sun-Jupiter distance be detected? (Use www or other sources to find the mass of Jupiter, the Sun and the distance between the two which are the only data you are allowed to use).

If found the following variables:

mJup = 1.9*1027kg
d = 7.78*108 m
mSun = 1.99 * 1030 kgRelevant equations:

γ - Gravitational constant
ms - Mass of Star
mp - Mass of planet
P - period
vsr - Radial velocity of starmp*sin i = ((ms) *vsr*p1/3)/((2*γ*)1/3)

P = √((r^3*4*π^2)/(γ*mS))

Calculations:

I found:

P = 1.52*10-5 s

Assumes that i = 90 °:

vsr = ((mp*(2*π*γ)1/3)/((ms 2/3) * (P1/3))

vsr = 3.62 * 105 m/sThis is clearly not the correct answer. The correct answer is vsr ≈ vs = 12.2 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
1.5 * 10-5 s would be 15 microseconds for an orbit...

Likes Omsin
EDIT:
I also meant r = d (distance between sun and planet)

Yeah, I forgot r3Here is equation (1) and (2)written in LATEX

(1)
$$ P_{star} = \sqrt{ \frac{r^{3}4 \pi^{2} }{ \gamma m_{s} } } $$

(2)
$$ v_{rs} = \frac{m_{p}(2 \pi \gamma )^{ \frac{1}{3} } }{m_{s}^{ \frac{2}{3} }p^{ \frac{1}{3} } } $$---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes:

So the period was P ≈ 11835 seconds ≈ 3.3 hours
Now I got vsr ≈ 395 m/s
Still far from 12 m/s

Last edited:
3.3 hours for the Jupiter orbit is still way too short.
You might also want to check the value you used as distance. Especially the unit.

I believe it's the period of the sun around the sun- Jupiter center of mass system( a little outside the sun). Vrs is the radial velocity of the sun around this center of mass.

I only used SI - units (m/s, s, kg)

Quick consistency check: Earth needs one year for the orbit. Jupiter can be seen during the night, so it has to be more distant than Earth, therefore its orbital period has to be longer than a year. And certainly longer than 3.3 hours!

You can also look up its orbital period - it is about 12 years.
Or look up its distance: 7.78*108 km.

I found vs by using eq (3):

$$ v_{p} = \sqrt{\gamma m_{s}} \approx 13061 m/s $$ then using (4)

$$ v_{s} = \frac{m_{p} v_{p}}{m_{s}}\approx 12 m/s $$

But vs is ≈ vrs, but still not vrs

But couldn't I use a different method with eq(1) and eq(2) to find vrs?

The difference between Jupiter's speed and the relative speed is just 0.1%. You can use the reduced mass to take this small difference into account, or take into account that the radius of the Jupiter orbit is smaller than the distance between Jupiter and sun. But you would not really gain precision with that, because the other planets get relevant at that level, they influence the position of the sun as well.

1. What is the significance of measuring radial velocities by DE?

The precision in measuring radial velocities by DE is important because it allows scientists to accurately determine the speed at which objects are moving away or towards us. This can provide valuable information about the motion of stars, planets, and other celestial bodies.

2. How is the precision of radial velocity measurements by DE affected?

The precision of radial velocity measurements by DE can be affected by several factors, such as the quality of the equipment used, atmospheric conditions, and the stability of the target object. Any small errors in these factors can result in a decrease in the overall precision of the measurement.

3. What is the range of precision that can be achieved with radial velocity measurements by DE?

The precision of radial velocity measurements by DE can range from a few meters per second to a few kilometers per second, depending on the equipment and methods used. In some cases, precision as high as a few centimeters per second can be achieved.

4. How does DE account for errors and uncertainties in radial velocity measurements?

DE uses advanced mathematical models and algorithms to account for errors and uncertainties in radial velocity measurements. These methods can help to reduce the impact of external factors and improve the overall precision of the measurements.

5. Can the precision of radial velocity measurements by DE be improved?

Yes, the precision of radial velocity measurements by DE can be improved through continuous advancements in technology and techniques. Scientists are constantly working to improve the methods used for measuring radial velocities, which can lead to more accurate and precise results.