1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ax and Ay As a linear combination of Atan and Arad

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is about a rod that is set in a pendulum way but that has an angle high enough so the SHM doesn't apply to it. It starts at Pi/2 until it reachs 0. I was able to find the tangential and radial acceleration about the center of mass but now I need to know the x and y acceleration about the center of mass.

2. Relevant equations

It says that I should be using the angle between Atan and Ax as a reference

3. The attempt at a solution

Completly stuck!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi spirof! welcome to pf! :smile:
    the only difficulty is working out the angle between tan (or rad) and x (or y) …

the hint is simply telling you to write those angles as either ±θ or ±(90° - θ) …

go for it! :wink:

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

Thanks u did put me on the track, I do possess all the θ already for a definite period of time. Actually, correct if I am wrong, if I have and angle of 1.40 rad, then if if i do pi/2 - 1.4, which will give me something around 0.17 rad.

From there, i know that the angle between arad and ax is 0.17 rad, the same angle betweenay and atan. I would then be tempted to simply do ax = ar cos 0.17. However, I cannot assume that they form a right angle triangle. Anymore inputs?

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi spirof! :smile:
    i'm confused :redface: … there's right-angles everywhere …

which angle isn't a right- angle? :confused:

6. Mar 10, 2012 #5
    Well between Ar and Ax, If u look at my attached image, you will see that I cannot assume that they are parts of a right angle triangle. Ax seems to long to be the hypothenus of Ar, doesn't it?

7. Mar 10, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the length doesn't matter

all you need is the angle between ar and ax

8. Mar 10, 2012 #7
    Thanks, I went over the internet and I have found the solution. I have to express as linear combination of the Ar and Atan.

It sums up to Ax = Ar cos (90-θ) + Atan sin (90-θ)
    Ay = -Ar sin (90-θ) + Atan cos (90-θ)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook