[b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known

• Thread starter Joe91090
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
You know how to add vectors, and that's all that was needed. In summary, a novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball, with successive displacements of 1.6m north, 7.4m northeast, and 3.7m 57 degrees west of south. An expert golfer could make the hole in a single displacement, which would have a magnitude of approximately 8.1m and a direction of about 45 degrees northeast. Using the SOH CAH TOA method, the x and y components of the expert's displacement were calculated to be 8.1m and 8.1m respectively, resulting in a total displacement of 11.5m. By
Joe91090

Homework Statement

A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements are 1.6m to the north, 7.4m northeast, and 3.7m 57 degrees west of south. starting from the same initial postion, an expert golfer could make the hole in a single displacement. What is the magnitude of this single displacement ?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

IM confused if northeast is enough information to solve the problem. I used SOH CAH TOA to find the lengths of the sides of the triangle and put northeast as 45 degrees but I am not sure if that correct. I subtracted the vectors and used the pathagreon theroum to find the displacement but my answer can out inncorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org

Joe91090 said:

Homework Statement

A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements are 1.6m to the north, 7.4m northeast, and 3.7m 57 degrees west of south. starting from the same initial postion, an expert golfer could make the hole in a single displacement. What is the magnitude of this single displacement ?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

IM confused if northeast is enough information to solve the problem. I used SOH CAH TOA to find the lengths of the sides of the triangle and put northeast as 45 degrees but I am not sure if that correct. I subtracted the vectors and used the pathagreon theroum to find the displacement but my answer can out inncorrect.

Maybe try a more careful method?

Putt-1 = 0 i + 1.6 j
Putt-2 = ... i + ... j
Putt-3 = ... i + ... j

Then add your components and use Pythagoras?

(And yes, northeast is 45°)

What do the i and j represent ?

Joe91090 said:
What do the i and j represent ?

Those are the x and y components of the vector.

Putt-1 = 0 i + 1.6 j

It went 1.6 north and 0 in the east-west direction.

So... displacement is 2.1 i + 4.8 j ??

Putt 1: 0 i + 1.6 j
Putt 2: 5.2 i + 5.2 j
putt 3: 3.1 i + 2 j

That's the idea.

Looks right, though the signs on Putt-3 aren't exactly right. The result is apparently.

I GOT IT RIGHT ! thanks for the help

Joe91090 said:
I GOT IT RIGHT ! thanks for the help

You're welcome of course.

But don't act so surprised.

1. What is a problem statement?

A problem statement is a concise description of the issue or question that needs to be addressed through scientific research. It outlines the problem, the relevant variables, and any known information that can help guide the research process.

2. Why is it important to include all variables in a problem statement?

Including all variables in a problem statement helps to clearly define the scope of the research and ensure that no important factors are overlooked. It also allows for a more thorough and accurate analysis of the problem.

3. What should be included in the given/known section of a problem statement?

The given/known section should include any information that is already known about the problem, such as previous research, data, or theories. It can also include any assumptions or limitations that may affect the research.

4. How can a problem statement be formulated effectively?

A problem statement should be clear, concise, and specific. It should also be based on evidence and avoid any biased or opinionated language. It can be helpful to use a structured approach, such as the PICO framework, to ensure all relevant elements are included.

5. Can a problem statement change during the research process?

Yes, a problem statement can evolve or change as new information is discovered during the research process. It is important to regularly review and refine the problem statement to ensure it accurately reflects the current understanding of the problem.