B. comp sci after b. and m. math

• Thread starter michael.wes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comp sci
In summary: However, I am not sure how much of this I should disclose to prospective supervisors as they may not take kindly to someone who is not yet 'finished' with their degree.In summary, the author is interested in doing research in cryptography at the PhD level, but does not have much formal computer science background. He is interested in finding a program that will allow him to do research in this area. He is from Canada.
michael.wes
Gold Member
Hello,

I am writing to ask for some academic career guidance. I am interested in doing research in cryptography at the PhD level. At present, I do not have much in the way of formal computer science, but I have programmed during internships/co-op positions and during a few undergraduate courses.

My background is in pure mathematics (bachelor's) and cryptography (master's). Most of the departmental groups I've looked at are in the realm of computer science, so I would have to write CS comps, e.g. on complexity theory, languages...

My question is this: how do you view a candidate who has gone back to retrain in computer science after having spent 7 years to get a bachelor's and master's of mathematics in order to go direct into PhD comp. sci? Do you know of successful examples of this route? Is this generally considered a bad idea?

I see several options after another bachelor's without going into PhD... but I somehow feel unfulfilled, and I enjoy doing research, so I want to explore every possible avenue.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions/criticisms. If I am being too vague, please also let me know.

I should probably also include:
math bachelor's last 2 years GPA: 77
math master's GPA: 80.8

Physics news on Phys.org
What country are you from? If you are from the US or Canada (except maybe Quebec; they follow something intermediary between the European and US/Canadian models), no. This is silly. Just apply for the PhD. You might have to take a few undergrad comp sic classes to catch up with your counterparts, but not multiple years worth. Perhaps not even a year's worth of such courses.

If you're from Europe, the answer is probably no as well. Do the math. A PhD already puts you a bit behind the eight ball economically. Going back to get another bachelor's degree will put you even further behind.

Just dive in. Convince the program you have what it takes to do PhD level research, and with a tiny bit of catch up work will be ready to take the graduate level classes needed to pass the comps.

That's just my non-expert advice. If you want expert advice, go talk to someone on the computer science PhD admission committee in your school.

D H said:
What country are you from?

I'm from Canada

D H said:
Just apply for the PhD. You might have to take a few undergrad comp sic classes to catch up with your counterparts, but not multiple years worth. Perhaps not even a year's worth of such courses.

This is generally my feeling as well; I simply am a bit taken aback by some of the 'FAQ' and admissions information on the web pages for some/most of these schools.

D H said:
Do the math. A PhD already puts you a bit behind the eight ball economically. Going back to get another bachelor's degree will put you even further behind.

Agreed, and I have thought about this for some time. I was coming close to the point where I thought I might have to come to terms with not being able to do the PhD because the only way is too costly, and a lot of things would overlap with what I already know.

D H said:
Just dive in. Convince the program you have what it takes to do PhD level research, and with a tiny bit of catch up work will be ready to take the graduate level classes needed to pass the comps.

This is indeed my preferred course of action; I have thought about/researched some potential supervisors at other schools.

Thank you for reaching out and seeking guidance in your academic career. Your interest in cryptography and pursuing a PhD in computer science is commendable.

Firstly, I want to assure you that going back to retrain in computer science after completing your bachelor's and master's in mathematics is not a bad idea at all. In fact, it shows your determination and dedication towards your research interests. Many successful researchers and academics come from diverse academic backgrounds and have pursued additional education in a related field to further their research.

Having a strong background in mathematics and cryptography will definitely be an advantage in your research in cryptography at the PhD level. As you have mentioned, most of the departmental groups in this field are in computer science, so writing CS comps will be necessary. I recommend taking some courses in computer science to familiarize yourself with the subject and to prepare for the comps.

In terms of your GPA, it is important to focus on your research interests and showcase your skills and knowledge in that area. Admissions committees and potential advisors will also consider your research experience, letters of recommendation, and any publications or conference presentations you may have. It is also helpful to reach out to potential advisors and discuss your research interests and how your background and skills can contribute to their research group.

Overall, I believe your background in mathematics and cryptography combined with additional education in computer science will make you a strong candidate for a PhD in computer science. I encourage you to explore all possible avenues and continue pursuing your passion for research. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's and Master's in Mathematics?

A Bachelor's in Mathematics typically covers a broad range of mathematical topics, while a Master's in Mathematics allows for specialization in a specific subfield of mathematics.

2. How does a Bachelor's in Computer Science complement a Master's in Mathematics?

A Bachelor's in Computer Science provides a strong foundation in programming and problem-solving skills, which can be applied to various mathematical problems and models in a Master's in Mathematics program.

3. What career options are available with a Bachelor's in Computer Science and a Master's in Mathematics?

Graduates with a combination of these degrees can pursue careers in fields such as data science, financial analysis, actuarial science, software engineering, and research in academia or industry.

4. Can I pursue a Master's in Computer Science after completing a Bachelor's and Master's in Mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Computer Science after completing a Bachelor's and Master's in Mathematics. However, it may require some additional coursework or prerequisites depending on the specific program.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses that would be beneficial for someone considering a Bachelor's in Computer Science and a Master's in Mathematics?

Having a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics is important for both degrees. Additionally, courses in programming, algorithms, and data structures would be beneficial for a successful transition into a Master's in Mathematics program.