1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Field Inside of Sphere using Sep. Variables

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    Done editing I hope.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If Jf = 0 everywhere, then (as we showed in class), one can express H as the gradient of a scalar potential, W. W satisfies Poisson’s equation with ∇⋅M as the source. Use this fact to find the field inside a uniformly magnetized sphere. (Griffiths has some additional verbiage
    intended to help, but I think you already know what he says.) Compare your answer with
    example 6.1 (p. 264-5), which is this problem solved by another method.

2. Relevant equations

##H^\perp_{above} - H^\perp_{below}=-(M^\perp_{above}- M^\perp_{below})##

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is with the constraints and in particular the one I have in the equations section. I had this as ##∇W^\perp_{in} - ∇W^\perp_{out}=M^\perp## Since at r=R they are equivalent. I know that ##M^\perp## must writable as some version of M but I cannot determine what. I know the solutions manual has ##M\hat{z}\hat{r}= Mcos(θ)## but I don't understand how they have ##\hat{z}## in spherical coordinates...

Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you be more precise about your confusion regarding [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]?

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    More than the z vector I'm just confused how they got from M orthogonal to Mcos(θ). What is the reasoning or the process?

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't own a copy of Griffiths and you haven't shown the whole problem, so I'm going to make a guess that the magnetization is along the z axis? The component of M normal to the boundary (at r=R) is proportional to cos(theta). You can see this intuitively: at theta=0, M is normal to the boundary so Mnormal=M. At 90 deg, M is tangential to the circle so Mnormal=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted