B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching from a physics undergraduate major to a philosophy graduate program. It is noted that there are more job opportunities for physics PhDs outside of academia, while philosophy PhDs are mainly limited to teaching and writing. However, some argue that philosophy can still lead to interesting and insightful work, as seen with physicists who have also delved into philosophy. It is also mentioned that there are programs for those interested in the philosophy of science, and that a dual degree in physics and philosophy may be helpful in pursuing a philosophy graduate program.
Geremia
Has anyone here majored in physics as an undergrad and switched to philosophy as a graduate student? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone? Yes. Has anyone here? Unlikely. What are you planning to do with a PhD in philosophy? There are far more people with PhDs in philosophy who want to teach college than there are jobs for them.

eri said:
What are you planning to do with a PhD in philosophy?
I would like to teach and write.
eri said:
There are far more people with PhDs in philosophy who want to teach college than there are jobs for them.
Yes, but what if one wants to stick with academia? Then the same could be said about physics PhDs, too. No?

Geremia said:
the same could be said about physics PhDs, too. No?

If you consider only academic jobs, then yes. People do say this about Physics PhDs as well. However, the academic job situation is far far worse for people outside scientific disciplines. People from both scientific and liberal arts disciplines will agree on this.

There are a lot of jobs outside academia for physics PhDs. There's really nothing you can do with a PhD in philosophy besides teach and write, and there are far more people with PhDs in philosophy than there are faculty jobs. Any other job you get with that degree really wouldn't be utilizing the degree.

Check out the first "area of study" on this page: http://philosophy.ucsd.edu/graduate/areasofstudy.html
There's also this one, but I'm not sure if they have a graduate program: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/physics_and_philosophy/physics_and_3.html

Also, I think there was a recent conference at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics where half of the attendees/speakers were "modern philosophers."

If you're dead set on working hard pondering unanswerable questions so you can live in poverty then yes, I'd say philosophy is the way to go.

Real philosophers develop interesting worldviews and write them down. They don't get a degree in philosophy and suddenly become insightful.

I don't think you should have too much trouble doing philosophy after physics. The reason I think this is that my school offers a dual BS in physics and philosophy, so I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to get into a philosophy program with a physics BS, especially if you look for a program in philosophy of science like the ones cmos found.

G037H3 said:
Real philosophers develop interesting worldviews and write them down. They don't get a degree in philosophy and suddenly become insightful.
Yes, this is true. Look at Heisenberg or Pierre Duhem; they were physicists who wrote some awesome philosophy of physics.

What is a B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy?

A B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy is a dual degree program that combines the study of physics and philosophy. It allows students to explore the fundamental principles and laws of the physical world while also delving into the nature of reality, knowledge, and existence.

What are the career options for someone with a B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy?

Graduates from this program have a wide range of career options. They can pursue careers in research, academia, and government agencies. They can also work in industries such as technology, finance, and consulting, where their analytical and critical thinking skills are highly valued.

How does studying physics and philosophy together benefit a student?

Studying physics and philosophy together provides students with a unique perspective on the world. They learn to think critically and analytically, as well as develop a deep understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the physical world and the nature of reality. This combination of skills and knowledge can be applied to various fields and can lead to a well-rounded and fulfilling career.

What are the differences between a B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy and a traditional physics or philosophy degree?

A B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy combines the core curriculum of both fields, providing students with a broader and more interdisciplinary education. This program also allows students to develop a deeper understanding of the connections between the physical world and philosophical concepts, which may not be explored in traditional degree programs.

What skills are necessary to succeed in a B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy program?

To succeed in this program, students need a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a passion for philosophy and critical thinking. They should also have excellent analytical skills, the ability to think abstractly, and a strong work ethic to handle the rigor and demands of the program.