1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs B.S. in Physics, PhD in Philosophy?

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    Has anyone here majored in physics as an undergrad and switched to philosophy as a graduate student? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

eri

Has anyone? Yes. Has anyone here? Unlikely. What are you planning to do with a PhD in philosophy? There are far more people with PhDs in philosophy who want to teach college than there are jobs for them.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    I would like to teach and write.
    Yes, but what if one wants to stick with academia? Then the same could be said about physics PhDs, too. No?

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you consider only academic jobs, then yes. People do say this about Physics PhDs as well. However, the academic job situation is far far worse for people outside scientific disciplines. People from both scientific and liberal arts disciplines will agree on this.

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5

eri

There are a lot of jobs outside academia for physics PhDs. There's really nothing you can do with a PhD in philosophy besides teach and write, and there are far more people with PhDs in philosophy than there are faculty jobs. Any other job you get with that degree really wouldn't be utilizing the degree.

7. Sep 21, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 21, 2010 #7
    If you're dead set on working hard pondering unanswerable questions so you can live in poverty then yes, I'd say philosophy is the way to go.

9. Sep 21, 2010 #8
    Real philosophers develop interesting worldviews and write them down. They don't get a degree in philosophy and suddenly become insightful.

10. Sep 21, 2010 #9
    I don't think you should have too much trouble doing philosophy after physics. The reason I think this is that my school offers a dual BS in physics and philosophy, so I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to get into a philosophy program with a physics BS, especially if you look for a program in philosophy of science like the ones cmos found.

11. Sep 22, 2010 #10
    Yes, this is true. Look at Heisenberg or Pierre Duhem; they were physicists who wrote some awesome philosophy of physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook