BA vs. BS In Physics + Why can't I get a BS in Both Math and

• Programs
  • Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student is graduating in one year and is trying to figure out their plans with their advisors. They had initially planned to get both a BS in Mathematics and a BS in Physics, but their school is now only allowing them to get a BA in Physics and a BS in Mathematics. The student is concerned about the difference between a BA and a BS and how it may affect their chances of getting into graduate school. They are advised to look at the specific courses required by the graduate schools they are interested in and see if they can petition the dean to allow them to get a BS in Physics. The conversation also discusses the importance of the courses taken, rather than the name of the degree, in graduate school applications.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Hi guys,

I am graduating in one year and figuring out my plans with my advisors.
I was set on getting both a BS in Mathematics and a BS in Physics when I graduate.

Unfortunately, my school now will not allow me to get a BS in both degrees.

1. Why would they deny this? What reason do you think the school has in not allowing me to get two BS degrees.

Instead, they are telling me I can get a BA in Physics and a BS in Mathematics.
This actually works out well for me in the sense that it'll be a little easier to achieve these degrees as I will only need 2-3 more Math courses and 4 more Physics courses.

Now, I've read a lot on BA vs. BS and that it 'really won't matter' come graduate school (I want to go for Physics), and instead, what will matter is the courses taken.

Is there anything I should be worried about in getting a BA in Physics vs. a BS? (I won't need to take Electromagnetism II, QM II, Modern Optics, or Theoretical Mechanics... although, I will probably take 1-2 or 3 of those courses if I can fit them into my schedule in Spring 2018).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably has something to do with coursework. If you look at the courses required for Physics, you might be lacking a few needed for the BS.

If that's not the case, you should ask them why they are denying this and perhaps you can petition the dean to allow it.

I had a case where I was lacking some credits in liberal arts needed for my Physics BS. I was able to petition that my courses in Chinese language rounded out my education in the same way that other liberal arts courses would and the school agreed so I could graduate early.

In your case, you might need to cast some courses you've taken as ones that meet the BS requirements and so gain the BS.

Anyway here's a refernce to the differences in a BA and a BS:

http://www.bestvalueschools.com/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-a-b-a-and-a-b-s/

Likes RJLiberator
Most or all grad schools won't care about the name of the degree. They'll focus on which specific courses you've taken.

So look up the grad schools that you've interested in and see which courses they expect applicants to have.

Isn't this spelled out in your school's course calendar? Most universities will spell out very specifically which courses are required for the degrees that they award. Coming back after you've done the coursework and expecting something different isn't very fair or reasonable.

And while I realize the distinction is important to you because you've invested a lot of time and energy into the work, (i) graduate schools aren't likely to care, and (ii) what's really important is the education that you've received.

jtbell said:
Most or all grad schools won't care about the name of the degree. They'll focus on which specific courses you've taken.

So look up the grad schools that you've interested in and see which courses they expect applicants to have.
Agree here. Some elite schools offer a BA in physics. One notable example is Wellesley; some of their alumnae have gone on to highly successful research careers.

What is the difference between a BA and a BS in Physics?

A BA in Physics typically focuses more on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of physics, while a BS in Physics places a greater emphasis on practical and experimental applications. Additionally, a BS in Physics may require more advanced math and science courses compared to a BA program.

Which degree is better for a career in physics - BA or BS?

Both degrees can lead to successful careers in physics, but the choice ultimately depends on your career goals. A BA may be more suitable for those interested in pursuing careers in education or research, while a BS may be better for those seeking jobs in industry or engineering.

Why can't I get a BS in both Physics and Math?

While some universities may offer dual or joint degree programs in Physics and Math, it is not common to obtain a single BS degree in both subjects. This is because both fields have different core requirements and it may take longer than the typical 4 years to complete all the necessary coursework for both degrees.

Can I pursue a BA in Physics and a BS in another field?

Yes, many universities offer the flexibility for students to pursue a BA in Physics and a BS in another field, such as Math, Engineering, or Computer Science. This can provide a well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities.

Do I need a specific degree to become a physicist?

While a degree in physics is the most common path for becoming a physicist, it is not the only option. Some individuals may have a degree in a related field, such as engineering or math, while others may have a graduate degree in physics. It ultimately depends on the specific career goals and job requirements.