Back in school but can't remember all of the math. Doomed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eleknar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    School
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Eleknar
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
I'm 27 years old and I'm going back to school for physics. What if I can't remember everything from high school and what not? Am I doomed?? My hope is that the various different concepts will come back to me as I use them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Then you will have to learn math all over again. However, in my experience, you learn it *much* faster the second or third time around.

Start reviewing now if you have time...

(I should add that I went back for an MS in physics in my 40's. I needed to re-teach myself calculus and undergrad physics almost from the beginning. However, it didn't take four years... more like a few months.)
 
Last edited:
Of course you forgot! I went back to school for math at 34. I just started with pre-calculus, and now I'm entering my senior year. You'll catch up. You haven't been away nearly as long as I was.
 
dkotschessaa said:
Of course you forgot! I went back to school for math at 34. I just started with pre-calculus, and now I'm entering my senior year. You'll catch up. You haven't been away nearly as long as I was.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually more concerned about remembering the basics than I am the more advanced stuff. It's weird, really. I'll be fine though, I'm sure ;)
 
Eleknar said:
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually more concerned about remembering the basics than I am the more advanced stuff. It's weird, really. I'll be fine though, I'm sure ;)

I went through various phases of "oh now I have to go through and review all this stuff from scratch!" which I sometimes did, but more often it was a kind of "fix it as you go," sort of process.