1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Back in school but can't remember all of the math. Doomed?

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    I'm 27 years old and I'm going back to school for physics. What if I can't remember everything from high school and what not? Am I doomed?!?! My hope is that the various different concepts will come back to me as I use them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2
    Then you will have to learn math all over again. However, in my experience, you learn it *much* faster the second or third time around.

Start reviewing now if you have time...

(I should add that I went back for an MS in physics in my 40's. I needed to re-teach myself calculus and undergrad physics almost from the beginning. However, it didn't take four years... more like a few months.)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. May 8, 2013 #3
    Of course you forgot! I went back to school for math at 34. I just started with pre-calculus, and now I'm entering my senior year. You'll catch up. You haven't been away nearly as long as I was.

5. May 8, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually more concerned about remembering the basics than I am the more advanced stuff. It's weird, really. I'll be fine though, I'm sure ;)

6. May 8, 2013 #5
    I went through various phases of "oh now I have to go through and review all this stuff from scratch!" which I sometimes did, but more often it was a kind of "fix it as you go," sort of process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook