Back Up Phone Data: Solutions & Tips

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary: USB Configuration". It might help. That's certainly frustrating. I have this problem always with our Windows 7 desktop. The PC never identifies my phone, no matter whatever I do. Fortunately this problem is not there in my Win 10 laptop. There is one last thing that you can try without spending money.Disconnect your phone from your PC. Go to Developer Settings... and uncheck "USB Configuration". It might help.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Used to use free App but now Google tightened access.
Hi,
Hoping to back up my phone data. I used to use this free app SMS, which connected to gmail and uploaded the data there . Only now google/gmail has changed or tightened access rules and I get an error message when my phone tries to relay data to my gmail account. I have gone through SOverflow but could not get things to work out.

. I was also able to upload data using USB cable to my PC . It would automatically offer me the option of transfering data to my PC or charging. Now I am no longer offered the option of of transferring. I checked settings in my Pc's device manager, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for USB without success.
Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of phone - it looks like this is Android, but what model?

Let's see - is this the same phone which you were successful in the past? If the same, then could it be the operating system on your phone has updated recently? Mine keeps asking me to 'upgrade'.

Have you tried searching https://www.androidauthority.com - I think I've found help there before. I cannot think of anything else right now.

Likes WWGD
scottdave said:
What kind of phone - it looks like this is Android, but what model?

Let's see - is this the same phone which you were successful in the past? If the same, then could it be the operating system on your phone has updated recently? Mine keeps asking me to 'upgrade'.

Have you tried searching https://www.androidauthority.com - I think I've found help there before. I cannot think of anything else right now.
It's an LG phone. Thanks, will look up the link.

WWGD said:
It's an LG phone.
The OS is Android, right?

Wrichik Basu said:
The OS is Android, right?
Correct.

Personally,moving phone data to computer,then the phone data can be backed up arbitrarily.

samy65 said:
Personally,moving phone data to computer,then the phone data can be backed up arbitrarily.
But problem is that when I plug in USB it does not give me that option. It only charges the phone.

WWGD said:
But problem is that when I plug in USB it does not give me that option. It only charges the phone.
Go to Developer Settings. (If it is not enabled yet, do so by pressing on the Build Number multiple times.) Under developer settings, there is an option "USB Configuration". Change that to file transfer/MTP.

Likes WWGD and MikeeMiracle
Thank you. The closest I have is usb rndis and mtp , media transfer protocol. I will look into it tomorrow -- finally got my new battery.

Sorry to bother again,Wrichik,but Google/gmail ae=re denying me access. Seems like a new security feature to verify I own the gmail account the messages are sent to:"Sign in with google temporrily disabled for this app" I looked it up but seems involved, Any chance you know how to deal with it? 1Or maybe you or someone else knows of some other free app to backup messages from phone to PC?
Thanks again,

WWGD said:
Sorry to bother again,Wrichik,but Google/gmail ae=re denying me access. Seems like a new security feature to verify I own the gmail account the messages are sent to:"Sign in with google temporrily disabled for this app" I looked it up but seems involved, Any chance you know how to deal with it? 1Or maybe you or someone else knows of some other free app to backup messages from phone to PC?
Thanks again,
What are the exact steps after which you are getting this error? Is this happening when you open Gmail or other Google apps?

Wrichik Basu said:
What are the exact steps after which you are getting this error? Is this happening when you open Gmail or other Google apps?
Well, I did change settings as you said and when I connect the USB with the phone to my PC, the PC does not recognize it. In my file system I don't see an entry for the phone, it seems it is not detecting that a foreign/outside object has been attached to the Pc; it just starts charging the phone automatically. EDIT: I also went to device manager and updated drivers for my USB controllers, still with no luck.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Well, I did change settings as you said and when I connect the USB with the phone to my PC, the PC does not recognize it. In my file system I don't see an entry for the phone, it seems it is not detecting that a foreign/outside object has been attached to the Pc; it just starts charging the phone automatically. EDIT: I also went to device manager and updated drivers for my USB controllers, still with no luck.
That's certainly frustrating. I have this problem always with our Windows 7 desktop. The PC never identifies my phone, no matter whatever I do. Fortunately this problem is not there in my Win 10 laptop. There is one last thing that you can try without spending money.

Disconnect your phone from your PC. Go to Developer Settings and switch on USB Debugging. If a warning pops up, click OK. Now try connecting your phone.

If the above does not work, then download Android Debug Bridge (ADB). Follow this tutorial on XDA Developers. Once you download and extract the zip file, open a command prompt or power shell window in the folder where you have extracted the zip. Connect your phone, and then execute the command adb devices or ./adb devices. Your phone will ask for a confirmation to allow debugging, if everything goes fine. Give the permission. Now wait for a few seconds and again execute the same command. It should show a phone attached for debugging. Now see if your PC recognizes the phone.

If this fails too, there is only one way left: buy a USB OTG, attach a pen drive, and connect it to your phone and copy the required files.

What about this problem:
WWGD said:
Google/gmail ae=re denying me access
In which apps are you facing this?

Likes WWGD
What about this problem:
Google/gmail ae=re denying me access
In which apps are you facing this?
This is from SMS, a free App that automatically backs up Android phone data by sending it to a folder in a gmail account.

WWGD said:
This is from SMS, a free App that automatically backs up Android phone data by sending it to a folder in a gmail account.
If you face this problem only in that app and in no other app, the problem is of that app and not your phone. There is nothing you can do; contact the developer.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
If you face this problem only in that app and in no other app, the problem is of that app and not your phone. There is nothing you can do; contact the developer.
Thanks. I only have one PC, so I will ask the guys at the repair shop if I can plug my phone and USB into one of their PCs to see if when connected I have the option of transferring data or if it will instead start charging.

@WWGD Android phones, when connected to PC, will always start charging. When transferring files via MTP, the charging will continue without hampering the process. You cannot stop the charging. So the problem is not that your device is charging from the PC, the problem is your phone is not being recognized by the PC.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
@WWGD Android phones, when connected to PC, will always start charging. When transferring files via MTP, the charging will continue without hampering the process. You cannot stop the charging. So the problem is not that your device is charging from the PC, the problem is your phone is not being recognized by the PC.
I understand, so I will check with another PC whether it recognizes my phone.

Likes Wrichik Basu
By the way, for messages, I just checked this app (among several others of the same type), and it works on my phone. You have the option to upload to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox or a local backup. Can you check whether this one is working on your phone? This will make it clear whether the "Sign in disabled..." problem is due to the app or your phone.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
By the way, for messages, I just checked this app (among several others of the same type), and it works on my phone. You have the option to upload to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox or a local backup. Can you check whether this one is working on your phone? This will make it clear whether the "Sign in disabled..." problem is due to the app or your phone.
Thanks, it worked; kind of scary privacy terms. I am thinking of transferring backups elsewhere since it did not seem possible to save indefinitely --I don't have that high of an activity.

Likes Wrichik Basu
The best way for me is to move phone data to computer,as i think computer is the best device for backup.

Coco said:
The best way for me is to move phone data to computer,as i think computer is the best device for backup.
Yes, but my PC does not recognize my phone when I plug in the phone with the USB.

1. How often should I back up my phone data?

It is recommended to back up your phone data at least once a week, or more frequently if you use your phone frequently or make significant changes to your data.

2. What is the best way to back up my phone data?

The best way to back up your phone data is to use a combination of cloud storage and physical storage. This ensures that your data is accessible from anywhere and also protected in case of device failure.

3. Can I back up my phone data if I have a limited data plan?

Yes, you can still back up your phone data even with a limited data plan. You can use a Wi-Fi network to back up your data, or you can limit which apps are allowed to use your mobile data for backup purposes.

4. How do I restore my phone data from a backup?

The process of restoring your phone data from a backup will vary depending on your device and the method you used to back up your data. Generally, you can access your backup and restore your data through your phone's settings or a backup and restore app.

5. Is it possible to back up specific data on my phone, such as photos or contacts?

Yes, most backup solutions allow you to select specific data to back up. This way, you can choose to only back up important data and save storage space on your backup device.