Question: how do you back up your Android Phone?

In summary, you back up your content individually using Android desktop manager and use Titanium Backup if you have root access on your phone.
ChrisJ4303
What your method to back up your Android phone? A whole back up or partial back up instead?

I usually back up my content individually via Android desktop manager.

How about your option?

Computer science news on Phys.org
ChrisJ4303 said:
What your method to back up your Android phone? A whole back up or partial back up instead?
I usually back up my content individually via Android desktop manager.
How about your option?
I use adb shell to do that and back up the whole phone.

Silicon Waffle said:
I use adb shell to do that and back up the whole phone.

well, impressed. via command line?

I have a nexus 4. Because the bootloader is unlocked on the nexus line, I flashed a custom recovery on mine (TWRP) and make backup images of the phone from there which then I copy via ADB (over the USB cable) over to my computer for storage. This is a rather complicated way to do it but it is an image backup of the phone and copies literally everything. Something that needs to be done before modifying system files, in case you soft brick your phone (render unbootable)

For the average user, the simplest way would be to use the software package provided by the manufacturer of the phone. It's not as comprehensive as what I do but it's a gazallion times easier to setup and do, plus you get to choose exactly what you are backing up so its way faster.

If you have root access on your phone, then I recommend Titanium Backup.

Routaran said:
I have a nexus 4. Because the bootloader is unlocked on the nexus line, I flashed a custom recovery on mine (TWRP) and make backup images of the phone from there which then I copy via ADB (over the USB cable) over to my computer for storage. This is a rather complicated way to do it but it is an image backup of the phone and copies literally everything. Something that needs to be done before modifying system files, in case you soft brick your phone (render unbootable)

For the average user, the simplest way would be to use the software package provided by the manufacturer of the phone. It's not as comprehensive as what I do but it's a gazallion times easier to setup and do, plus you get to choose exactly what you are backing up so its way faster.

If you have root access on your phone, then I recommend Titanium Backup.

Titanium Backup is a mobile app runs on your phone, it works very slowly if back up large files, I think the best and safe solutions is back phone data to computer. I personally used Moibledic Mobile transfer, one click to backup and restore, but it's not free.

Because I have a Google Nexus phone and use the Google calendar and Gmail and Gmail Contacts, everything that matters (i.e., my email and contacts) just work automatically as soon as I logged on to Google using the phone. I can add contacts using my Desktop computer or my phone, and it immediately syncs across the platforms. I also use Google Keep. It's just bliss--no need to worry about losing contacts ever.

But if I lost my phone, I would have to reinstall all the apps.

And then, of course, Google's cloud knows everything about me. Sigh.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Peterbrith said:
Titanium Backup is a mobile app runs on your phone, it works very slowly if back up large files, I think the best and safe solutions is back phone data to computer. I personally used Moibledic Mobile transfer, one click to backup and restore, but it's not free.

Yeah, I agree the process would be very slowly if the files were larget.

harborsparrow said:
Because I have a Google Nexus phone and use the Google calendar and Gmail and Gmail Contacts, everything that matters (i.e., my email and contacts) just work automatically as soon as I logged on to Google using the phone. I can add contacts using my Desktop computer or my phone, and it immediately syncs across the platforms. I also use Google Keep. It's just bliss--no need to worry about losing contacts ever.

But if I lost my phone, I would have to reinstall all the apps.

And then, of course, Google's cloud knows everything about me. Sigh.

The contacts are in safe with Google service. it also applies to photo and other files with Google Drive

ChrisJ4303 said:
Yeah, I agree the process would be very slowly if the files were larget.
The contacts are in safe with Google service. it also applies to photo and other files with Google Drive
That's too complex, if you have budget,you can buy Mobiledic Android manager tool, it's $39,I used it for 3 months, it works fine!

Peterbrith said:
That's too complex, if you have budget,you can buy Mobiledic Android manager tool, it's $39,I used it for 3 months, it works fine!
Sorry, I forget to give you the Moibledic link:
If you need to back up the contacts:
http://www.mobiledic.com/android-topic/transfer-contacts-from-android-to-computer.html

If you need to back up the text messages to computer.
http://www.mobiledic.com/android-topic/transfer-text-messages-from-android-to-computer.html

Note, you need to install the driver on your computer, or it doesn't identify your phone.

1. How do I back up my Android phone?

The easiest way to back up your Android phone is by using the built-in Google Drive backup feature. Simply go to your phone's Settings, then navigate to System > Backup. Make sure the "Back up to Google Drive" option is turned on and select the data you want to back up (e.g. apps, call history, device settings).

2. Can I back up my Android phone without using Google Drive?

Yes, there are other ways to back up your Android phone without using Google Drive. You can use third-party backup apps, such as Helium, Titanium Backup, or Easy Backup & Restore. These apps allow you to back up your data to your phone's internal storage, SD card, or a cloud storage service of your choice.

3. Will backing up my Android phone also save my photos and videos?

It depends on the method you choose to back up your phone. If you use Google Drive, it will automatically back up your photos and videos to Google Photos. If you use a third-party backup app, make sure to select the option to back up your media files along with your other data.

4. How often should I back up my Android phone?

It is recommended to back up your Android phone at least once a month, or whenever you make significant changes to your device (e.g. installing new apps, changing settings). This ensures that your data is always up-to-date and you won't lose important information in case of a device failure.

5. Can I restore my data from a previous backup?

Yes, you can restore your data from a previous backup. If you used Google Drive, simply go to Settings > System > Backup and select the "Restore" option. If you used a third-party backup app, open the app and follow the instructions to restore your data from the backup file.