Bad Movie Physics : How do I prove this wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical impossibility of a specific dunk in a video and the search for formulas to prove it. The participants mention using formulas for power, work, Newton's 3rd Law, and kinetic energy to calculate the energy needed and the maximum height a human can jump.
amandacate

At 1:19 in that video, the actor throws the ball agaisnt the backboard. As the ball bounces backwards, the actor "flies up" from the free throw line and dunks the ball.

I know this is impossible, but I need the formulas that would prove this to be impossible.

I'm utterly lost and can't figure out what ones to use to show that dunking the ball at the actors weight and height is impossible. (Power, work, Newton's 3rd Law etc)

Any guidance would help extremely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
um calulate the engery needed to jump that high then find out the highest a human can possibliy jump?

Would you go about calculating energy using the formulas for power and work?

um u could do that or reg kinetic

1. How do I know if a movie has bad physics?

The easiest way to spot bad movie physics is to look for scenes that seem physically impossible or go against the laws of physics. This could include things like characters surviving falls from great heights without any injuries or objects defying gravity. Another red flag is if the movie is based on a scientific concept or technology, but the portrayal of it is completely inaccurate.

2. Can bad movie physics ruin my viewing experience?

It depends on the person and the movie. For some people, bad physics may not affect their enjoyment of a movie. However, for those who have a background in science or are familiar with certain concepts, it can be distracting and take away from the overall experience. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

3. How can I prove that a movie has bad physics?

The best way to prove that a movie has bad physics is to do some research and gather evidence. Look for scientific articles or experts in the field who have commented on the movie's portrayal of physics. You can also point out specific scenes or instances in the movie that are physically impossible or inaccurate according to scientific principles.

4. Why do movies have bad physics in the first place?

There could be several reasons for this. Some movies prioritize entertainment and storytelling over scientific accuracy, so they may exaggerate or alter physics for dramatic effect. Others may simply not have the resources or expertise to accurately portray certain concepts. Additionally, some filmmakers may intentionally ignore scientific principles for the sake of creative liberty.

5. Is it important for movies to have accurate physics?

Again, this is subjective. For some movies, like science fiction or fantasy, accuracy may not be as crucial. However, for movies that are based on real-life events or scientific concepts, it is important for them to be as accurate as possible. Inaccurate physics can mislead and confuse audiences, and can also undermine the credibility of the movie.