Ball hitting racket - Momentum Question (ENGAA 2017)

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct answer for a physics problem involving the calculation of final momentum using the equation F = (change in momentum) / (change in time). The correct solution involves taking the modulus of the right-hand side expression and using vector calculations, taking into consideration the direction of the force.
TomK
Homework Statement
ENGAA 2017 - Question 52
Relevant Equations
Force = rate of change of momentum
Please scroll-sown to Question 52: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_s1_qp_2017.pdf

The correct answer is 'B'. This is the working I did:

F = (change in momentum) / (change in time)

change in momentum = mv - mu, where v = final velocity and u = initial velocity

initial velocity = +u, final velocity = -v (as velocity reverses direction after hitting racket)

change in time = t2 - t1m (-v - (+u)) = F (t2 - t1)
-mv - mu = Ft2 - Ft1
mv = Ft1 - Ft2 - mu
mv = F (t1 - t2) - mu

As you can see, my answer is wrong. I don't understand why. What's strange is that if you assume final velocity = +v and initial velocity = -u, you'll get the change in momentum to be m (v - (-u)) = mv + mu. Then, you'll get the right answer after rearranging.

Physics news on Phys.org
TomK said:
As you can see, my answer is wrong. I don't understand why. What's strange is that if you assume final velocity = +v and initial velocity = -u, you'll get the change in momentum to be m (v - (-u)) = mv + mu. Then, you'll get the right answer after rearranging.
What's strange about that?

PeroK said:
What's strange about that?

Why does it work one way but not the other? The velocities are still in opposite directions. What error have I made?

Try using vector. Then you will definitely get the right answer. Focus on the initial direction of the ball.

TomK said:
Why does it work one way but not the other? The velocities are still in opposite directions. What error have I made?
First, let's analyse your answer. Note that you are asked for the magnitude of the final momentum. You have: $$mv = F(t_1 - t_2) - mu$$ From the question ##u## is a speed, hence positive, as is ##F## and ##t_1 < t_2##. So, the expression you have on the right-hand side is negative. Which simply cannot be a magnitude. You should, therefore, have taken the modulus of this in any case to get a possible answer.

Second, let's analyse the question. If the initial speed ##u = 0##, then the magnitude of the final momentum is: $$mv = F(t_2 - t_1)$$
Now, what happens when ##u > 0##? Is the final momentum greater or smaller? The force must first stop the ball and then accelerate it, so some of the impulse is used to get the ball to rest, leaving less impulse to accelerate it. That means we have to take away the ##mu##, leaving: $$mv = F(t_2 - t_1) - mu$$ Note that we have used the assumption that ##F(t_2 - t_1) > mu##.

Finally, as suggested above, you could do a vector calculation. In which case, you need to use a vector for force. And, depending on the direction you take as positive, you will have ##\vec F = \pm F##. And that's your mistake. You take the force to be positive, regardless of the direction you consider as positive for your velocities. In one case you get the right answer, but when ##F## has the wrong sign you get the wrong answer.

PeroK said:
First, let's analyse your answer. Note that you are asked for the magnitude of the final momentum. You have: $$mv = F(t_1 - t_2) - mu$$ From the question ##u## is a speed, hence positive, as is ##F## and ##t_1 < t_2##. So, the expression you have on the right-hand side is negative. Which simply cannot be a magnitude. You should, therefore, have taken the modulus of this in any case to get a possible answer.

Second, let's analyse the question. If the initial speed ##u = 0##, then the magnitude of the final momentum is: $$mv = F(t_2 - t_1)$$
Now, what happens when ##u > 0##? Is the final momentum greater or smaller? The force must first stop the ball and then accelerate it, so some of the impulse is used to get the ball to rest, leaving less impulse to accelerate it. That means we have to take away the ##mu##, leaving: $$mv = F(t_2 - t_1) - mu$$ Note that we have used the assumption that ##F(t_2 - t_1) > mu##.

Finally, as suggested above, you could do a vector calculation. In which case, you need to use a vector for force. And, depending on the direction you take as positive, you will have ##\vec F = \pm F##. And that's your mistake. You take the force to be positive, regardless of the direction you consider as positive for your velocities. In one case you get the right answer, but when ##F## has the wrong sign you get the wrong answer.

Thank you. I now know I should have given F a '-' sign in-front, since force is acting in the negative direction, as I assumed positive to be right to left.

initial velocity = +u
final velocity = -v

F = change in p/change in t

-F = (-mv - mu)/(t2 - t1)
-F(t2 - t1) = -mv - mu

mv = F(t2 - t1) - mu
This is the correct answer.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how difficult it is to stop an object from moving.

2. How does momentum relate to ball hitting racket?

When a ball hits a racket, the momentum of the ball is transferred to the racket. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. So, the momentum of the ball before it hits the racket is equal to the momentum of the racket and the ball after the impact.

3. Does the mass of the ball or the racket affect the momentum?

Yes, both the mass of the ball and the racket affect the momentum. According to the equation for momentum (p = mv), an increase in mass will result in an increase in momentum, while a decrease in mass will result in a decrease in momentum. Therefore, a heavier ball or racket will have a higher momentum than a lighter one.

4. What factors can affect the momentum of the ball hitting the racket?

The momentum of the ball hitting the racket can be affected by various factors, such as the speed of the ball, the angle of impact, the elasticity of the ball and racket, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can either increase or decrease the momentum of the ball and the racket after the impact.

5. How is the momentum of the ball and racket calculated?

The momentum of the ball and racket can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. The mass and velocity of the ball and racket can be measured or estimated to calculate their respective momentums.