Ballistic trajectory, can't isolate angle

In summary, the conversation is about a function that describes the ballistic trajectory of an object with a given velocity and angle. The function involves variables such as x and y positions, velocity, angle, and gravitational acceleration. The goal is to use this function to calculate at which angle the object will strike a given (x,y)-position with a given velocity. However, the person is having trouble isolating the angle variable due to the presence of sines and cosines. They are seeking help and instructions on how to do this, but it is mentioned that knowledge of calculus and derivatives may be necessary to understand and solve the problem.
Nico-M
Hey guys,

I constructed a function that describes the ballistic trajectory of an object with a given velocity and angle. This is what it looks like:
[tex]y=tan(a)x+gx^2/(2(cos(a)v)^2)[/tex]
'x' and 'y' are the x- and y-positions of the object in flight.
'v' is the velocity and 'a' the angle in degrees at which the object is thrown/launched.
'g' is the gravitational acceleration that causes the object to travel in an arc.

What I'd like to be able to do with this function is to calculate at which angle the object will strike a given (x,y)-position with a given velocity. For this I had to isolate the angle-variable...well I tried to. I wrote down all the algebra I could think of but I just can't figure out how to isolate that angle with all those sines and cosines in the way. Not very experienced with these yet...

I hope someone can help me out with this one, and step-by-step instructions would be awesome!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well... for calculating what you want, you will need to know (or learn) the bit of calculus called derivatives. If you know it already, the angle you are searching for is given by:

[tex]tan(a)=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

where dy/dx is the derivative of the y function you got.

If you don't know how to calculate (or even what are) derivatives, i fear you will have to learn it first to be able to understand this.

1. What is ballistic trajectory?

Ballistic trajectory is the path an object takes when it is propelled through the air by a force, such as gravity, without any additional propulsion.

2. How is the angle of a ballistic trajectory calculated?

The angle of a ballistic trajectory can be calculated using the equation: angle = arctan (vertical velocity/horizontal velocity). This can also be represented as angle = tan-1 (vertical velocity/horizontal velocity).

3. Why is it difficult to isolate the angle in a ballistic trajectory?

It can be difficult to isolate the angle in a ballistic trajectory because there are many factors that can affect the trajectory, such as air resistance, wind, and initial velocity. Additionally, the angle may not be constant throughout the trajectory as it is affected by these external forces.

4. What are some techniques for determining the angle in a ballistic trajectory?

One technique for determining the angle in a ballistic trajectory is by using a ballistic pendulum, which measures the momentum of a projectile after it has been fired into a suspended pendulum. Another technique is to use a computer simulation with known values for initial velocity and other variables to calculate the angle.

5. How is ballistic trajectory used in real-life applications?

Ballistic trajectory is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in military weapons, sports, and space exploration. Understanding the trajectory of a projectile can help improve accuracy and efficiency in these areas. It is also used in forensics to analyze the trajectory of bullets in crime scenes.