1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The angle of intersection between two planes in R3

1. Aug 17, 2016 #1
    What is the angle of intersection between the two planes in ℝ3 with general equations
    x-y=5 and y-z=7?

I know that the angle between then is equal to cos-1 (u⋅v/||u|| ||v||) but I am stuck on the general equations given, how can I solve when given these ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Find a normal to each plane, and then use the dot product to find the cosine of the angle between the two normals. That will be the same as the angle between the two planes.

4. Aug 17, 2016 #3
    how would i find a normal to each plane?

5. Aug 17, 2016 #4
    im confused with those general equations given in the problem

6. Aug 17, 2016 #5
    In my course book, we are given an example where we have two points in ℝ3 which are (2,-1,3) and is parallel to (3,2,-2) so the parametric equations are
    x=2+3t
    y=-1+2t
    z=3-2t
    where t∈ℝ
    solving for t gives

t=x-2/3, t=y+1/2, t=3-z/2

and this yields two equations
    x-2/3 = y+1/2 and y+1/2 = 3-z/2 which I can understand because they're all the same value which is 't' so they are all equal to one another right?

the part where im lost is where it says rearranging these two equations gives some general equations for the two planes...
    2x-3y=7 and y+z=2
    how do they rearrange to get those equations ?

7. Aug 17, 2016 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Erenjaeger.

This is done by solving a linear system (i.e. a "matrix") and finding what occurs when you reduce it down to "row echelon form".

Have you ever done linear algebra before?

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7
    yeah

9. Aug 17, 2016 #8

chiro

Science Advisor

It's basically just an application of standard matrix methods.

10. Aug 17, 2016 #9
    okay, ill read through that section in my course book, thanks

11. Aug 17, 2016 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Given a plane in R3, Ax + By + Cz = D, a normal to this plane is the vector <A, B, C>. My suggestion, which doesn't involve matrices, is a lot simpler than the one chiro gave.

Find a normal to each plane: ##\vec{n_1} = <A_1, B_1, C_1>## and ##\vec{n_2} = <A_2, B_2, C_2>## and use the fact that ##\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} = |\vec{u}| |\vec{v}|\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted