The angle of intersection between two planes in R3

In summary, to find the angle of intersection between two planes, you can use the dot product and the magnitude of the normal vectors of each plane. The cosine of the angle between the two normals will be the same as the angle between the two planes. To find the normal vectors, you can use the coefficients of the variables in the general equation of each plane. Alternatively, you can solve a linear system using matrices to find the normal vectors.
Erenjaeger
What is the angle of intersection between the two planes in ℝ3 with general equations
x-y=5 and y-z=7?

I know that the angle between then is equal to cos-1 (u⋅v/||u|| ||v||) but I am stuck on the general equations given, how can I solve when given these ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
What is the angle of intersection between the two planes in ℝ3 with general equations
x-y=5 and y-z=7?

I know that the angle between then is equal to cos-1 (u⋅v/||u|| ||v||) but I am stuck on the general equations given, how can I solve when given these ?
Find a normal to each plane, and then use the dot product to find the cosine of the angle between the two normals. That will be the same as the angle between the two planes.

Mark44 said:
Find a normal to each plane, and then use the dot product to find the cosine of the angle between the two normals. That will be the same as the angle between the two planes.
how would i find a normal to each plane?

Erenjaeger said:
im confused with those general equations given in the problem

Mark44 said:
In my course book, we are given an example where we have two points in ℝ3 which are (2,-1,3) and is parallel to (3,2,-2) so the parametric equations are
x=2+3t
y=-1+2t
z=3-2t
where t∈ℝ
solving for t gives

t=x-2/3, t=y+1/2, t=3-z/2

and this yields two equations
x-2/3 = y+1/2 and y+1/2 = 3-z/2 which I can understand because they're all the same value which is 't' so they are all equal to one another right?

the part where I am lost is where it says rearranging these two equations gives some general equations for the two planes...
2x-3y=7 and y+z=2
how do they rearrange to get those equations ?

Hey Erenjaeger.

This is done by solving a linear system (i.e. a "matrix") and finding what occurs when you reduce it down to "row echelon form".

Have you ever done linear algebra before?

chiro said:
Hey Erenjaeger.

This is done by solving a linear system (i.e. a "matrix") and finding what occurs when you reduce it down to "row echelon form".

Have you ever done linear algebra before?
yeah

It's basically just an application of standard matrix methods.

chiro said:
It's basically just an application of standard matrix methods.
okay, ill read through that section in my course book, thanks

Erenjaeger said:
Given a plane in R3, Ax + By + Cz = D, a normal to this plane is the vector <A, B, C>. My suggestion, which doesn't involve matrices, is a lot simpler than the one chiro gave.

Find a normal to each plane: ##\vec{n_1} = <A_1, B_1, C_1>## and ##\vec{n_2} = <A_2, B_2, C_2>## and use the fact that ##\vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} = |\vec{u}| |\vec{v}|\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors.

What is the definition of the angle of intersection between two planes in R3?

The angle of intersection between two planes in R3 is the measure of the angle formed by the two planes where they intersect. It is measured in degrees or radians.

How is the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 calculated?

The angle of intersection between two planes in R3 can be calculated using the dot product of the normal vectors of the two planes. The formula is cos(theta) = (n1 ∙ n2) / (|n1| ∙ |n2|), where n1 and n2 are the normal vectors and theta is the angle of intersection.

Can the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 be negative?

No, the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 is always a positive value. This is because the dot product of two vectors will always result in a positive value, and the angle is calculated using the cosine function which only outputs positive values.

What does the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 tell us?

The angle of intersection between two planes in R3 can tell us the relative orientation of the two planes. If the angle is close to 0 degrees, the planes are almost parallel. If the angle is close to 90 degrees, the planes are almost perpendicular.

Can the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle of intersection between two planes in R3 can be greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the two planes are not only intersecting, but are also diverging away from each other in opposite directions.