Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series

• Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shortest wavelength photon emitted by a downward electron transition in the Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series of the hydrogen atom. It is mentioned that electrons can start from any energy level and end up in any energy level, and the question is what energy state the electron is starting from in order to calculate the greatest frequency. It is suggested that n=infinity would give the highest frequency, which represents a free electron at rest very far away from the nucleus. The problem of finding "E-max" for hydrogen is also mentioned.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

4. (a) Find the shortest wavelength photon emitted by a downward electron transition in the
Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series of the hydrogen atom.

My only question is, what energy state is the electron starting from? is it n=infinity? or is there some part of this I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons can start from any energy level and end up in any energy level. Which transition would give the greatest frequency?

well the higher the starting energy level, the shorter the wavelength, so i would assume n=infinity,

so what's n=infinity for hydrogen?

It means a free electron in rest, very far away from the nucleus, so no force acting on it.

ehild

I have the same problem, I need to find "E-max" for hydrogen. I know that I should take ((2.18*10^-18)/(6.63*10^-34)) * ((1/n)-(1/m)) (Where n>m)

What are the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series?

The Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series are a set of spectral lines in the atomic emission spectrum of hydrogen. These series correspond to transitions of electrons between energy levels in the atom, resulting in the emission of electromagnetic radiation at specific wavelengths.

What is the difference between the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series?

The main difference between the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series is the energy level transitions they correspond to. The Balmer series involves transitions from higher energy levels to the second energy level, the Lyman series involves transitions to the first energy level, and the Paschen series involves transitions to the third energy level.

Why are the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series important?

The Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series are important because they provide evidence for the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. These series also have practical applications in spectroscopy, allowing scientists to identify elements and determine their properties.

What is the equation for calculating the wavelengths of the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series?

The equation for calculating the wavelengths of the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series is known as the Rydberg formula: 1/λ = R(1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2), where λ is the wavelength, R is the Rydberg constant, and nf and ni are the final and initial energy levels, respectively.

How are the Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series related to the energy levels in the hydrogen atom?

The Balmer, Lyman, and Paschen series are related to the energy levels in the hydrogen atom because the wavelengths of the spectral lines in these series correspond to specific energy differences between the levels. As the electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a photon with a specific wavelength, resulting in the characteristic spectral lines for each series.