1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic emission lines for a hydrogen atom

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I've been unable to find a relevant thread for a question that I've been stuck on for a couple of days now.

Here it is;

One of the electromagnetic emission lines for a hydrogen atom has wavelength 389nm. Assiming that this is a line from one of the Lyman (nf =1 ), Balmer (nf = 2) or Paschen (nf =3) series, what is the initial principle quantum number associated with the transitions? The Rydberg energy can be assumed to be 13.6eV

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2))
    Ry=13.6eV

This is the formula used to attempt a solution

There is another formula in my notes that may be helpful but i do not understand the symbols within it, it is;
    En,l = -Ry/(n-δl)2
    3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equation ΔE=Ry(1/(ni)2 - 1/(nf)2)) and then equating this change in energy to the energy of light E=hc/λ.
    Ry=13.6eV
    Then I insert various nf 's e.g. nf =1 for Lyman, then i would solve this for ni to see if i get an integer number, indicating that this is correct. I do this for nf =1,2 and 3 and I have never got an integer number leading me to believe my method is incorrect.

Any help or insight would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance, John.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2
  4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    I forgot to mention doing these questions are purely for exam practice. So having the tables will no be an option.

How would i do this in an exam? Simply put the numbers in as i have done and then chose the one which is closest to an integer value to be the correct one?

Thank, John

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your equation in regard to the placement of ni and nf.

I think your approach to the problem is good.

6. Jan 2, 2015 #5
    Ahh, yes, the ni and nf are the wrong way around. Thanks for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted