1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Model (Lyman,Balmer,Paschen series)

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the wavelengths of photons given off for the 3rd line in the Lyman series , the 2nd line in the Balmer series, and the 1st line in the Paschen series.

The question is weird,
    I don't understand what the "line" mean...

"1st line in the Paschen series " Is it mean ni is 1? Paschen series:nf=3
    Thanks
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

ojs

The 'line' is a spectral line (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_spectral_series), for the Lyman series it is the transitions from n >= 2 to the n = 1 state, for Balmer series its from n >= 3 to the n = 2 state and the Paschen series are transitions from n >= 4 to n = 3 state. The first line in each series is the transition from the next lowest number in the series to the lowest (so in the Lyman series the first line would be from n=2 to n=1) and the second line would be from from the third lowest to the lowest (in Lyman it would be n=3 to n=1) etc etc.
    To calculate the wavelength you can use the Rydberg formula.

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    I see,
    3rd line in the Lyman series --> ni=4
    2nd line in the Balmer series --> ni=4
    1st line in the Paschen series ---> ni=4
    am i right?

5. Dec 7, 2009 #4

ojs

Yes, you are quite right here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook