Banished to a deserted island and FLT

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, the mathematician allows you to bring 6 objects to the island, which you can choose from based on what you enjoy or what you think you will need. The only contact with the outside world is through a computer that you buy, and there is no way to escape.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
You have finally done it. You have found a really elementary proof of Fermat's last theorem. The proof was so simple and obvious that it's amazing the mathematical community missed it. It's safe to say that the mathematicians aren't not amused. They kidnap you and utterly destroy any mentions of your proof. You are forced to live the rest of your life quite comfortably in isolation on a deserted island.

Contary to common belief, mathematicians aren't completely heartless. They realize that ##6## is the order of the smallest noncommutative group, and so they allow you to choose some things to bring with you to the island.

1) First, they allow you to bring 6 other living things to the island. This can be anybody or anything. They will live with you for the rest of your life.
2) They allow you to bring 6 books on any topic to the island.
3) They allow you to bring 6 objects (other than books) to the island.
4) They allow you to bring 6 music albums (the means to play the music is available on the island)

Which of these would you choose? Remember, here are the rules:
1) The island is equipped so you can live comfortably. So the objects/books/people you can choose should be chosen in terms of hobby or what you like best. They don't need to be in terms of survival.
2) Any contact with the outside world is strictly forbidden and will be enforced by the special agents of the AMS. So you can choose to bring a computer, but an internet connection, a phone, or whatever is forbidden.
3) There is no hope to escape. So don't try it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just kill myself.

Can we substitute pets for people? Can't live without pets. Or are animals one of the amenities that come with the island?

Evo said:
Can we substitute pets for people?

Yes, I'll rewrite the OP to reflect this.

The people you bring can bring nothing?

Hmm anyone forced to live with me under these conditions would soon become suicidal.

Good thought game micro! :biggrin:

Evo said:
The people you bring can bring nothing?

They can, but you have no control over what they bring, nor will you know beforehand. You can guess it though...

micromass said:
They can, but you have no control over what they bring, nor will you know beforehand. You can guess it though...
Interesting. And they will not know what I am bringing?

micromass said:
1) First, they allow you to bring 6 other living things to the island. This can be anybody or anything. They will live with you for the rest of your life.
2) They allow you to bring 6 books on any topic to the island.
3) They allow you to bring 6 objects (other than books) to the island.
4) They allow you to bring 6 music albums (the means to play the music is available on the island)
I'm going to assume I can bring less.

1. No one. I wouldn't doom others to my fate.
2. A toolbox of my choosing. To spend time doing experiments as hobby.
3. Books: Essential book for Quantum Mechanics, one of Materials Science for Engineers, one of General Chemistry. A white notebook to write. The rest can be anything.
4. Nothing.

Likes micromass
Evo said:
Interesting. And they will not know what I am bringing?

They will not know.

Is there a limit to what you can have pre-loaded on your computer?

Evo said:
Is there a limit to what you can have pre-loaded on your computer?

If you choose a computer, it will be a new computer that you buy from a store. Anything you want to load on the computer is an additional object choice.

As for people, I'd ask around but not forcibly take someone with me.

For the books I'm not sure, probably Ballentine's as I will have some time to work through it. (1/6)
2 books on homebrewing (3/6)
Lord of the rings trilogy (4/6)
2 more physics or maths books to be determined (6/6)

Next I'd take a computer. (1/6)
I would either load the computer with the contents of the (pirates) library genesis or if that's too big my own Calibre-library would suffice :D (2/6)
For fun I'd like an advanced homebrewing kit + lifetime supplies (4/6)
A fishing rod (5/6)
Scubagear (6/6)

Edit;
I wanted to find out how big library genesis is, it contains at least 1.3 million books.
If you add the scientific articles (don't know how they circumvent paywalls) there'd be even more.

Likes micromass

1. What does FLT stand for in relation to being banished to a deserted island?

FLT stands for "floating lifeboat technology," which is a system that allows for the transportation and survival of individuals on a deserted island.

2. How does FLT work?

FLT works by utilizing a specially designed lifeboat that is equipped with resources such as food, water, and shelter. The lifeboat is designed to be buoyant and able to withstand harsh ocean conditions while providing a safe and stable living space for those banished to the deserted island.

3. Can FLT be used on any deserted island?

In theory, FLT can be used on any deserted island as long as the lifeboat is able to reach the island and the island itself has enough resources for survival. However, certain factors such as climate, terrain, and availability of resources may affect the success of using FLT on a specific island.

4. What are the benefits of using FLT on a deserted island?

The main benefit of using FLT on a deserted island is the increased chances of survival for individuals. The lifeboat provides a safe and secure living space, as well as access to essential resources. Additionally, FLT allows for the possibility of rescue or being able to leave the island if needed.

5. Is FLT a sustainable solution for being banished to a deserted island?

FLT can be a sustainable solution for a limited time period as it relies on the resources provided within the lifeboat. However, for long-term survival, it would be necessary to find a way to replenish these resources or find alternative sources of sustenance on the island.