Banished to a deserted island and FLT

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
You have finally done it. You have found a really elementary proof of Fermat's last theorem. The proof was so simple and obvious that it's amazing the mathematical community missed it. It's safe to say that the mathematicians aren't not amused. They kidnap you and utterly destroy any mentions of your proof. You are forced to live the rest of your life quite comfortably in isolation on a deserted island.

Contary to common belief, mathematicians aren't completely heartless. They realize that ##6## is the order of the smallest noncommutative group, and so they allow you to choose some things to bring with you to the island.

1) First, they allow you to bring 6 other living things to the island. This can be anybody or anything. They will live with you for the rest of your life.
2) They allow you to bring 6 books on any topic to the island.
3) They allow you to bring 6 objects (other than books) to the island.
4) They allow you to bring 6 music albums (the means to play the music is available on the island)

Which of these would you choose? Remember, here are the rules:
1) The island is equipped so you can live comfortably. So the objects/books/people you can choose should be chosen in terms of hobby or what you like best. They don't need to be in terms of survival.
2) Any contact with the outside world is strictly forbidden and will be enforced by the special agents of the AMS. So you can choose to bring a computer, but an internet connection, a phone, or whatever is forbidden.
3) There is no hope to escape. So don't try it.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I'd just kill myself.

Evo
Mentor
Can we substitute pets for people? Can't live without pets. Or are animals one of the amenities that come with the island?

Can we substitute pets for people?
Yes, I'll rewrite the OP to reflect this.

Evo
Mentor
The people you bring can bring nothing?

Hmm anyone forced to live with me under these conditions would soon become suicidal.

Good thought game micro! :biggrin:

The people you bring can bring nothing?
They can, but you have no control over what they bring, nor will you know beforehand. You can guess it though...

Evo
Mentor
They can, but you have no control over what they bring, nor will you know beforehand. You can guess it though...
Interesting. And they will not know what I am bringing?

1) First, they allow you to bring 6 other living things to the island. This can be anybody or anything. They will live with you for the rest of your life.
2) They allow you to bring 6 books on any topic to the island.
3) They allow you to bring 6 objects (other than books) to the island.
4) They allow you to bring 6 music albums (the means to play the music is available on the island)
I'm going to assume I can bring less.

1. No one. I wouldn't doom others to my fate.
2. A toolbox of my choosing. To spend time doing experiments as hobby.
3. Books: Essential book for Quantum Mechanics, one of Materials Science for Engineers, one of General Chemistry. A white notebook to write. The rest can be anything.
4. Nothing.

Likes micromass
Interesting. And they will not know what I am bringing?
They will not know.

Evo
Mentor
Is there a limit to what you can have pre-loaded on your computer?

Is there a limit to what you can have pre-loaded on your computer?
If you choose a computer, it will be a new computer that you buy from a store. Anything you want to load on the computer is an additional object choice.

As for people, I'd ask around but not forcibly take someone with me.

For the books I'm not sure, probably Ballentine's as I will have some time to work through it. (1/6)
2 books on homebrewing (3/6)
Lord of the rings trilogy (4/6)
2 more physics or maths books to be determined (6/6)

Next I'd take a computer. (1/6)
I would either load the computer with the contents of the (pirates) library genesis or if that's too big my own Calibre-library would suffice :D (2/6)
For fun I'd like an advanced homebrewing kit + lifetime supplies (4/6)
A fishing rod (5/6)
Scubagear (6/6)

Edit;
I wanted to find out how big library genesis is, it contains at least 1.3 million books.
If you add the scientific articles (don't know how they circumvent paywalls) there'd be even more.

Likes micromass